The route of El Camino Real was intended to solidify a path of travel between the Catholic Missions of Las Californias. In 1804 Alta California was formed out of the larger Las Californias. El Camino Real would ultimately connect 21 Catholic Missions of Alta California ranging approximately 600 miles spanning from Mission San Diego de Alcala in San Diego north to Mission San Francisco Solano in Sonoma. Gaviota Pass would become one of the best known geographical features of El Camino Real. Even after the advent of Mexican Alta California the path of travel through Gaviota Pass would remain a primary overland route.
Early LRN 2/American El Camino Real/Pacific Highway can be seen traversing Gaviota Pass on the 1917 California State Automobile Association Map.
The 1920 Rand McNally Highway Map of California shows El Camino Real and the Pacific Highway following LRN 2 through Gaviota Pass.
The 1924 Rand McNally Map of California shows the California Banff Bee-Line Highway co-signed with the Pacific Highway through Gaviota Pass.
The September 1934 California Highways & Public Works details the realignment which straightened US 101/LRN 2 between Gaviota and Arroyo Hondo. This project functioned as an extension of the work completed on US 101/LRN 2 in Gaviota Pass. In total 31 curves were eliminated along with 0.127 miles of travel between Gaviota and Arroyo Hondo.
CA 1 north splits from US 101 northbound just past the Gaviota Tunnel at Exit 132. This would have been the origin point of CA 1 prior to the 1964 State Highway Renumbering.