Skip to main content

Lovejoy Covered Bridge - Andover, Maine

 



Located in a quiet part of western Maine, the Lovejoy Covered Bridge is a Paddleford truss style covered bridge built in 1867. The Lovejoy Covered Bridge is the shortest covered bridge in the state of Maine, spanning a length of 75 feet over the Ellis River, just south of the village of Andover. The last remaining covered bridge out of three covered bridges that were in Andover, the Lovejoy Bridge gets its name from the Lovejoy house, which was on the eastern side of the Ellis River. The bridge was constructed to replace a worn out bridge using the same abutments, costing a grand total of $743.45 by raising taxes in the town. As is a common story with covered bridges, the Lovejoy Covered Bridge has seen its share of wear and tear over the years. In 1983. a heavy sand truck fell through the deck of the bridge while trying to cross the span. As a result, the bridge was reinforced in 1984 to carry local traffic. Today, the Lovejoy Covered Bridge can be enjoyed for passive recreation. It looks like a good stop during a bicycle tour, as I apparently saw during my visit, or good for just enjoying time along the river.










How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
MaineDOT - Lovejoy Bridge, Andover, Maine
Andover, Maine - Bridges and Covered Bridges
Bridgehunter.com - Lovejoy Covered Bridge 19-09-01

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, the color of your nearby fire hydrant matters...

...and here's why. You will find White, Red, Yellow and Violet colored fire hydrants pretty much everywhere.  But there's a reason for this - and it's because of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).  This association has issued guidelines for color coding standards for fire hydrants.  These color codes from the body of the hydrant, top of the hydrant, and in some municipalities the outlet caps are designed to allow fire fighters to know what type of system, water flow rate (Gallons Per Minute or GPM), and level of water pressure.  This guideline is known as NFPA 291 and is intended to be used universally throughout the United States. The NFPA guidelines are specific to the body and the top cap of the hydrant.  If a hydrant is WHITE or YELLOW - it means that it is connected to a public/municipal water system.  If a hydrant is RED - the hydrant is connected to a private system, typically a well.  These are most common in rural or unincorporated areas

Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway (in the making since 1947)

On September 15, 2022, the Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway opened in the city of Modesto from California State Route 99 west to North Dakota Avenue.  Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway was built upon a corridor which was tentatively to designated to become the branching point for Interstate 5W in the 1947 concept of the Interstate Highway System.  The present California State Route 132 West Expressway corridor was adopted by the California Highway Commission on June 20, 1956.  Despite almost being rescinded during the 1970s the concept of the California State Route 132 West Expressway corridor lingered on for over half a century and became likely the oldest undeveloped right-of-way owned by California Transportation Commission.  Pictured above is the planned California State Route 132 freeway west of US Route 99 in Modesto as featured in the May/June 1962 California Highways & Public Works.   The history of the California State Route

Aptos Creek Road to the Loma Prieta ghost town site

Aptos Creek Road is a roadway in Santa Cruz County, California which connects the community of Aptos north to The Forest of Nisene Marks State Parks.  Aptos Creek Road north of Aptos is largely unpaved and is where the town site of Loma Prieta can be located.  Loma Prieta was a sawmill community which operated from 1883-1923 and reached a peak population of approximately three hundred.  Loma Prieta included a railroad which is now occupied by Aptos Creek Road along with a spur to Bridge Creek which now the Loma Prieta Grade Trail.  The site of the Loma Prieta Mill and company town burned in 1942.   Part 1; the history of Aptos Creek Road and the Loma Prieta town site Modern Aptos traces its origin to Mexican Rancho Aptos.  Rancho Aptos was granted by the Mexican Government in 1833 Rafael Castro.  Rancho Aptos took its name from Aptos Creek which coursed through from the Santa Cruz Mountains to Monterey Bay.  Castro initially used Rancho Aptos to raise cattle for their hides.  Following