Skip to main content

Travel New England: Shelburne Falls

The picturesque Village of Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts is a small slice of New England.  The village sits along both sides of the Deerfield River within the Towns of Shelburne and Buckland.  It is home to numerous shops, art galleries, cafes, breweries and more.  


Shelburne Falls is a village of about 1700 residents which is nearly half of the combined population of Shelburne and Buckland.  The area was settled in the mid-1700s with both Shelburne and Buckland incorporated by 1779.




Two of the major attractions in Shelburne Falls is the Bridge of Flowers and the Glacial Potholes. The Bridge of Flowers is a concrete arch bridge that originally served as a trolley bridge over the Deerfield River. Opened in 1909, the bridge carried freight and passengers for the Shelburne Falls & Colrain Street Railway for nearly 20 years until the railway company went bankrupt.  It was in 1928, when members of the local Women's Club, petitioned and raised funds to convert the old trolley bridge to an open air garden.





The bridge is always full of tourists and photographers - professional and amateur alike.  The blooms are amazing in any season and is one of my all time favorite photography spots.



The glacial potholes along the Deerfield River date to the end of the last Ice Age over 14,000 years ago.  As the glaciers receded, the Deerfield River began to erode at the sediment and bedrock below.  The process is a result of strong whirlpools within the currents of the Deerfield River.  The potholes sit below Salmon Falls named after the once numerous salmon that would leap the falls to return to their spawning pools.



Shelburne Falls is a great stop for those traveling through Massachusetts along the Mohawk Trail or even Interstate 91.  The small village really does have something for everyone.

All photos taken by post author - October 2006 & May 2012.

Further Reading:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The original alignment of California State Route 1 in San Francisco

In 2019 the Gribblenation Blog Series covered the history of the Hyde Street Pier and the original surface alignment of US Route 101 in San Francisco.  Given the Golden Gate Bridge opened to traffic in May of 1937 coupled with the fact that the Sign State Routes had been announced in August of 1934 there were still some open questions regarding the original highway alignments in San Francisco.  Namely the question of this blog is; where was California State Route 1 prior to the completion of the Golden Gate Bridge?  Thanks the to the discovery of a 1936 Shell Highway Map of San Francisco and the California Highways & Public Works the answer can be conveyed clearly.     Part 1; the history of early California State Route 1 in San Francisco The genesis point for California State Route 1 ("CA 1") in San Francisco dates to 1933.  1933 was significant due to the State Legislature allowing the Division of Highways to assume maintenance of highways in Cities for the first time. 

Former California State Route 24 through the Kennedy Tunnel and Old Tunnel Road

 Near the eastern City Limit of Oakland high in the Berkeley Hills one can be find the ruins of the Kennedy Tunnel at the intersection of Old Tunnel Road and Skyline Boulevard.  The Kennedy Tunnel opened in 1903 and was the first semi-modern automotive corridor which crossed the Alameda County-Contra Costa County Line.  The Kennedy Tunnel even saw service briefly as part of California State Route 24 before the first two bores of the Caldecott Tunnel opened in 1937.   Part 1; the history of the Kennedy Tunnel The genesis point for California State Route 24 ("CA 24") being extended into the San Francisco Bay Area begins a couple years before the Sign State Routes were announced when Legislative Route Number 75 ("LRN 75") was added by 1931 Legislative Chapter 82.  According to cahighways.org the original definition of LRN 75 was as simply "Walnut Creek to Oakland."  The instigator for the adoption of LRN 75 was construct a replacement route for the Ken

Santa Clara County Route G8 and the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine

Santa Clara County Route G8 is a 29.38 mile County Sign Route which is part of the San Francisco Bay Area transportation corridor.  Santa Clara County Route G8 begins at California State Route 152 near the outskirts of Gilroy and terminates at former US Route 101 at 1st Street/Monterey Road near downtown San Jose.  Santa Clara County Route G8 incorporates the notable Almaden Expressway and is historically tied to the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine.   (Santa Clara County Route G8 map image courtesy CAhighways.org) Part 1; the history of Santa Clara County Route G8, the Almaden Road corridor and New Almaden Mine The present corridor of Santa Clara County Route G8 ("G8") began to take shape with the emergence of the Almaden Expressway.  According to the October 1960 California Highways & Public Works Unit 1 of the Almaden Expressway opened in November of 1959 between Alma Avenue near downtown San Jose south to the Guadalupe River as part of a Federal Highway Aid Secondary pro