Skip to main content

Saco River Covered Bridge - Conway, New Hampshire

 

Built in 1890, the 227 foot long Saco River Covered Bridge gracefully spans over the Saco River in Conway, New Hampshire and is the third covered bridge at this location. In 1850, Jacob Berry and Peter Paddleford built a Paddleford through truss style covered bridge to replace a crudely framed log bridge that had collapsed at the same site. The original Saco River Covered Bridge was crashed into by the Swift River Covered Bridge in 1869 during a devastating flood that carried the Swift River Covered Bridge down the river. The Saco River Covered Bridge was knocked off its abutments as a result of the crash and both bridges were carried 2 miles downstream. The remains of the original Saco River Covered Bridge and the Swift River Covered Bridge were used to build the still standing Swift River Covered bridge, located not far up the river from the Saco River Covered Bridge. The Saco River covered bridge was rebuilt by Allen and Warren of Conway, New Hampshire, but in 1890, met a fiery fate as it was destroyed by a tannery fire.

The current Saco River Covered Bridge was built in 1890 by Charles Broughton and Frank Broughton and restored from 1987 to 1989. It is located on East Side Road in Conway, New Hampshire and is easily accessible from NH 16 and NH 153. On the day I went, it was pretty hot out, so there were a number of people using a small beach near the covered bridge as a swimming hole or for paddling along the Saco River. It is a pretty neat covered bridge to visit or drive through, I would say.

The Saco River Covered Bridge is a happening place.

Small monument commemorating the reconstruction of the bridge between 1987 and 1989.

Street level view of the Saco River Covered Bridge.

Where the Swift River (to the left) comes in to join the Saco River (to the right), as seen from the Saco River Covered Bridge.

How to Get There:

 

Sources and Links:
New Hampshire DOT / New Hampshire Bridges - Saco River Covered Bridge
NH Tour Guide - Saco River Covered Bridge
Wanderlust Family Adventure - Saco River Covered Bridge - New Hampshire
Bridgehunter.com - Saco River Covered Bridge 29-02-03

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car