Skip to main content

King's Highway 401 from Woodstock to Windsor

This past April I drove a large portion 230 Kilometer portion of King's Highway 401 from KH 403 near Woodstock to KH 3 in Windsor.



KH 401 is largest 400 series freeway in the Province of Ontario spanning 828 Kilometers/514.5 Miles from Ojobway Parkway in Windsor east to Auto Route 20 in the Quebec Provincial line.  KH 401 carries a segment of freeway in Toronto which has an average daily traffic volume of 416,500 vehicles a day which makes it the busiest road in North America.  KH 401 opened in segments from 1947 through 1968 while the current number designation dates to 1952.

My approach to KH 401 west was from the south terminus of KH 403 near Woodstock of Oxford County.






Windsor is signed as being 225 KM away from Woodstock on KH 401.


Near Woodstock KH 401 west has one of the many On-Route service plazas.  the On-Route plazas are similar to service plazas that are usually found on American Toll-Ways.







At Exit 218 KH 401 west meets KH 19 on Plank Line Road.



West of KH 19 the route of KH 401 enters Middlesex County the Municipality of Thames Center.


KH 401 west in Thames Center has a truck inspection station.



KH 401 west next passes through the City of London and has a major junction with KH 402.






At Exit 177 B-A KH 401 west meets KH 4 on Colonel Talbot Road.




West of KH 4 the route of KH 401 enters Elgin County.


The Elgin County segment of KH 401 west includes another On-Route plaza.





KH 401 west next enters the Municipality of Chatham-Kent.


The Chatham-Kent portion of KH 401 includes yet another On-Route.



KH 401 westbound enters Essex County and meets KH 77 at Exit 48.




KH 401 west enters the City of Windsor and meets KH 3 at Exit 10.



KH 401 west multiplexes KH 3 to Exit 5 on the approach to the Ambassador Bridge on Huron Church Road.









Presently the route of KH 401 is slated to be extended to the new Gordie Howe International Bridge which is presently under construction.   The Gordie Howe Bridge will complete a limited access connection over the International Border between Detroit and Windsor when it opens in 2024.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th