Skip to main content

Mottville Camelback Bridge - St. Joseph County, Michigan


 

Located in Mottville, Michigan, the Mottville Camelback Bridge spans 270 feet across the St. Joseph River and is a beautiful example of camelback bridges that once commonly dotted the landscape across Michigan and also into neighboring Ontario. Built in 1922 under the direction of bridge engineer, C.A. Melick, the Mottville Bridge is the surviving longest example of a concrete camelback arch bridge in Michigan. A standardized set of plans used by the Michigan Highway Department at the time featured the concrete camelback arch bridges at 90 feet long and 22 feet wide. While the Mottville Bridge was bypassed in 1990 by a modern highway bridge running parallel to it along US 12, it is not the first bridge at this location, even though it has been there the longest in terms of its lifespan.

Several bridges and crossings have graced the general location of the Mottville Camelback Bridge in this slice of St. Joseph County, Michigan. First, there was a Native American trail called the Great Sauk Trail, which connected Detroit, Chicago, and Wisconsin and it crossed the St. Joseph River at a shallow spot in this vicinity. In 1825, the United States federal government had the trail surveyed in response to the westward migration of the pioneers, which converted the trail into the Chicago Road. Several shorter-lived bridges were then built in succession in Mottville over the St. Joseph River. The first Chicago Road bridge to cross the river near Mottville was a substantial timber structure that was constructed in 1833 and 1834 by contractor Hart L. Stewart. Then, a pile-supported bridge replaced it in 1845. In 1867 Mahlon Thompson and Joseph Miller built a Burr arch truss covered bridge located just upstream from the modern-day bridge. Today, you can see the ruins of its stone abutments. The Mottville Camelback Bridge was the fourth bridge at this location, and now there is the highway bridge on US 12.

Today, the bridge has not been altered from its original design and appearance, giving it a high level of historic integrity and significance. There is a small parking area near the bridge and the bridge is open for pedestrian use and passive recreation. It was certainly a nice little stopover to see the Mottville Bridge and take in its role in Michigan highway history.









How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
HistoricBridges.org - Mottville Bridge
Mottville Township - Mottville Bridge
Atlas Obscura - Mottville Camelback Bridge
The Historical Marker Database - Mottville Bridge
Local Remnants - Historic Mottville Bridge Across St. Joseph River
US 12 Heritage Trail - Mottville
Western Michigan University - Final Report of the Archaeological Site Examination of the U.S. 12 Mottville Bridge and Approaches Replacement Project, St. Joseph and Cass Counties, Michigan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th