Skip to main content

Tunica, Mississippi


Tunica is a small, quiet town off US 61 in Northwest Mississippi.  The community of about 1,000 residents is the county seat of Tunica County - both named after the Tunica Tribe.  Today, the community is more known for the nearby resorts and casinos along the Mississippi River.

A quiet Tunica on a warm July Sunday afternoon.

Tunica was laid out in 1884 on land owned by Edwin Harris.  Like many towns formed during the time, railroad access was the key driver in creating Tunica.  Harris sold plots of his land for the town in exchange for a coveted railroad depot.  A unique part of Harris' transfer of land is that he required that Tunica be a regularly scheduled rail stop vs. a flag stop.

Tunica's Town Clock within the village green.  The Tunica County Courthouse stands in the background.

In 1888, the town of Tunica was incorporated.  Later, railroad officials would try to end service in Tunica.  However, the clause from Harris' land transfer kept service alive.  Passenger rail service would eventually be terminated.

Downtown Tunica

With the opening of resort casinos in the early 1990s, the area surrounding Tunica has seen growth and improvement.  A nearby airport opened in 2003 that has offered commercial air service.  Charter flights to the resort communities remain very popular.  Through all the changes and benefits, the town of Tunica remains a quiet and charming small town.

All photos taken by post author - July 2023.

Sources & Links:

How To Get There:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Horace Wilkinson Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

Standing tall across from downtown Baton Rouge, the Horace Wilkinson Bridge carries Interstate 10 across the lower Mississippi River between West Baton Rouge and East Baton Rouge Parishes. Unusually, the bridge is actually named for three separate people; three generations of Horace Wilkinsons who served in the Louisiana State Legislature over a combined period of 54 years. Constructed in the 1960s and opened to traffic in 1968, this is one of the largest steel bridges on the lower Mississippi. It’s also the tallest bridge across the Mississippi, with its roadway reaching 175 ft at the center span. Baton Rouge is the northernmost city on the river where deep-water, ocean-going vessels can operate. As a result, this bridge is the northernmost bridge on the river of truly gigantic proportions. Altogether, the bridge is nearly 2 ½ miles long and its massive truss superstructure is 4,550 ft long with a center main truss span of 1,235 ft. The Horace Wilkinson Bridge is one of the largest

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh