Skip to main content

California State Route 117 (i)


The original California State Route 117 was a segment of Junipero Serra Boulevard from Crystal Springs Road in San Bruno north to Interstate 280 in Daly City.  The corridor of Junipero Serra Boulevard reached San Bruno by 1952 via development as part of Joint Highway District Number 10.  During 1956 Junipero Serra Boulevard was added to the State Highway System as part of Legislative Route Number 237.  The adopted corridor the Junipero Serra Freeway and Interstate 280 north of San Bruno was selected by the California Highway Commission during 1960.  This action led to existing Junipero Serra Boulevard being reassigned as California State Route 117 as part of the 1964 State Highway Renumbering.  California State Route 117 was deleted during 1965 and Junipero Serra Boulevard was reassigned as a placeholder routing for Interstate 280 until the completion of the Junipero Serra Freeway north of San Bruno during 1970.  The original California State Route 117 can be seen as it was displayed on the 1964 Division of Highways Map in the blog cover photo.  


The history of the original California State Route 117

What was to become California State Route 117 was added to the State Highway System as part of 1956 Legislative Chapter 63.  Legislative Chapter 63 defined Legislative Route Number 237 (LRN 237) as:

"Junipero Serra Boulevard as it exists and as it was constructed by Joint Highway District No. 10 from its junction with LRN 56 (California State Route 1) in Daly City to the present terminus of said highway in the City of San Bruno.  Upon the effective date of this section, the Joint Highway District No. 10 shall be dissolved in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 20 of Part 1 of Division 16 of the Streets and Highway Code and all property, assets, and liabilities of said district shall become property of the State."

Junipero Serra Boulevard appears as LRN 237 for the first time on the 1957 Division of Highways Map


The March/April 1957 California Highways & Public Works announced the addition of LRN 237 to the State Highway System.  Upon Joint Highway District Number 10 being dissolved during July 1956 the entirety of Junipero Boulevard was adopted by the California Highway Commission and declared designated a future freeway corridor (the Junipero Serra Freeway).



The March/April 1959 California Highways & Public Works announced the planned Junipero Serra Freeway from the end of Junipero Serra Boulevard/LRN 237 near San Bruno Avenue and Saratoga Avenue in Santa Clara had been adopted by the California Highway Commission as part of LRN 239 (defined in 1957) on July 23, 1958.  The prospective relocation of LRN 237 onto an adopted freeway corridor is noted to be in the process of study.  


The southern terminus of LRN 237 is shown connected to the adopted Junipero Serra Freeway corridor of LRN 239 on 1960 Division of Highways Map.  

The March/April 1960 California Highways & Public Works announced the relocation LRN 237 was discussed at a series of public hearings during January 1960.  


The January/February 1962 California Highways & Public Works discussed the history of Joint Highway District Number 10.  Joint Highway District Number 10 was created during 1928 as a cooperative between San Francisco County and San Mateo County.  The purpose of the district was to ultimately construct a new arterial highway from San Franscico south to San Jose.  By 1939 the district had located an alignment for Junipero Serra Boulevard as far south as Santa Clara County line.  Junipero Serra Boulevard had constructed to Crystal Springs Road by 1952 via right-of-way largely obtained in Millbrae.  Joint Highway District Number 10 began to encounter financial difficulties and issues finding a suitable alignment which led to Junipero Serra Boulevard being turned over to the state as LRN 237 during 1956.  The general routing of the Junipero Serra Freeway (Interstate 280) following LRN 237/existing Junipero Serra Boulevard north of San Bruno is noted to have been adopted by the California Highway Commission during 1960.  






As part of the 1964 State Highway Renumbering what had been LRN 237 along Junipero Serra Boulevard was defined as California State Route 117.  California State Route 117 was defined as "Crystal Springs Road in the city of San Bruno northerly to Route 280 in Daly City."  The adopted Junipero Serra Freeway corridor north of San Bruno was defined as part of legislative definition of Interstate 280.  California State Route 117 appears for the first time on the 1964 Division of Highways Map.  

The original California State Route 117 was deleted by way of 1965 Legislative Chapter 1372.  Junipero Serra Boulevard north of San Bruno was transferred legislatively as Route 280 which functioned as a placeholder connection for Interstate 280.  Junipero Serra Boulevard north of San Bruno can be seen as part of Route 280 on the 1966 Division of Highways Map.  Junipero Serra Boulevard was relinquished from the State Highway System during 1970 following the completion of Interstate 280 on the Junipero Serra Freeway north of San Bruno.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The history of US Route 80 and Interstate 8 in California

The historic corridor of US Route 80 and Interstate 8 through the borderlands of southern California share a largely mutual history.  Both highways originated in the city of San Diego and departed the state at the Colorado River into Yuma, Arizona.  Both highways share numerous famous geographical components such as the Mountain Springs Grade and Algodones Sand Dunes.  This article serves as a comprehensive history of the combined US Route 80/Interstate 8 corridor in California from the tolled stage route era of the nineteenth century to the development of the modern freeway.   The blog cover photo features US Route 80 along the Mountains Springs Grade through In-Ko-Pah Gorge during late 1920s.  This photo is part of the Caltrans McCurry Collection. Part 1; the history of US Route 80 and Interstate 8 in California US Route 80 and Interstate 8 in California share a largely mutual history.  The backstory of both highways is tied heavily to the corridors of the Old Spanish Trail, Legisl

The Central Freeway of San Francisco (US Route 101)

The Central Freeway is a 1.2-mile elevated limited access corridor in the city of San Francisco.  As presently configured the Central Freeway connects from the end of the Bayshore Freeway to Market Street.  The Central Freeway carries the mainline of northbound US Route 101 from the Bayshore Freeway to Mission Street. The Central Freeway has origins with the establishment of Legislative Route Number 223 and is heavily tied to the history of the once proposed Panhandle Freeway.  The Central Freeway between the Bayshore Freeway and Mission Street was completed during 1955.  The corridor was extended to a one-way couplet located at Turk Street and Golden Gate Avenue in 1959 which served to connect US Route 101 to Van Ness Avenue.  The Central Freeway was damaged by the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake and has since been truncated to Market Street.   The Central Freeway as pictured on the blog cover was featured in the May/June 1959 California Highways & Public Works.  The scan below is fro

The Midway Palm and Pine of US Route 99

Along modern day California State Route 99 south of Avenue 11 just outside the City limits of Madera one can find the Midway Palm and Pine in the center median of the freeway.  The Midway Palm and Pine denotes the halfway point between the Mexican Border and Oregon State Line on what was US Route 99.  The Midway Palm is intended to represent Southern California whereas the Midway Pine is intended to represent Northern California.  Pictured above the Midway Palm and Pine can be seen from the northbound lanes of the California State Route 99 Freeway.   This blog is part of the larger Gribblenation US Route 99 Page.  For more information pertaining to the other various segments of US Route 99 and it's three-digit child routes check out the link the below. Gribblenation US Route 99 Page The history of the Midway Palm and Pine The true timeframe for when the Midway Palm and Pine (originally a Deadora Cedar Tree) were planted is unknown.  In fact, the origin of the Midway Palm and Pine w