Skip to main content

MacFarlane Covered Bridge - New Brunswick

 


Located roughly 5-6 miles (about 9-10 kilometers) south of the center of Sussex, New Brunswick is the MacFarlane Covered Bridge. Spanning 63 feet (about 19 meters) over Wards Creek, it is one of the shortest covered bridges in Kings County, New Brunswick. Also known as Wards Creek Covered Bridge # 2, the bridge was built in 1909 using a Howe truss design that is commonplace in covered bridge construction throughout New Brunswick.

The MacFarlane Covered Bridge is easily accessible from NB 111 on Wards Creek Road, which you can also take into downtown Sussex. When I visited in early May 2022, it looked like the covered bridge had recently been given new siding, as the wood hadn't yet turned into the gray color you'll find at many covered bridges around the province. Headache bars to prevent over height vehicles from passing through the covered bridge can also be found near each end of the covered bridge.





How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
GalenFrysinger.com - MacFarlane Covered Bridge
Tourism New Brunswick - Wards Creek No. 2 Covered Bridge (MacFarlane)
Derek Grant Digital - McFarlane Covered Bridge
Celebrate Sussex - Covered Bridges
DaleJTravis.com - New Brunswick Covered Bridges List

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Huey P. Long Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

The decade of the 1930s brought unprecedented growth and development to Louisiana’s transportation infrastructure as the cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge cemented their place as leading urban centers on the Gulf Coast. In the immediate aftermath of the success garnered by the construction of the massive bridge on the Mississippi River near New Orleans in 1935, planning and construction commenced on the state’s second bridge over the great river. This new bridge, located on the north side of Baton Rouge, was to be similar in design and form to its downriver predecessor. Completed in 1940 as the second bridge across the Mississippi River in Louisiana and the first to be built in the Baton Rouge area, this bridge is one of two bridges on the Mississippi named for Huey P. Long, a Louisiana politician who served as the 40th Governor of the State from 1928 to 1932, then as U.S. Senator from 1932 until his death by assassination at the state capitol in Baton Rouge on September 10, 1935