Skip to main content

Lone Star Ghost Town Site and Visalia District Railroad Grade

About a half mile south of the intersection of Jensen Avenue and Fowler Avenue in Fresno County is the remains of a small rail siding known as Lone Star and the grade of the Visalia District Railroad.


Lone Star is a former rail sidings of a Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad (ATSF) line known as the Visalia District Railroad.  The Visalia District Railroad began operations apparently in 1891 and branched east of Fresno at the Central Pacific Mainline in modern day Calwa.  From Calwa the Visalia District Railroad traversed southeast into Tulare County through the following communities; Cecile, Lone Star, DeWolf, Clifton, Del Rey, Miley, Parlier, and Reedley.  The Visalia District Railroad and it's sidings can be observed appearing by comparing the 1891 Fresno County Map to the 1914 edition.

1891 Fresno County Map

1914 Fresno County Map

Post Office Service operated in Lone Star apparently from 1891 to 1895 and again 1900 to 1910.  As can probably be inferred from it's name, Lone Star was named after the State of Texas.  Lone Star as a community never appears to have grown very much and is now the location of a produce warehouse.  From Fowler Avenue the grade of the Visalia District Railroad can be easily observed.


I'm not certain when the Visalia District Railroad was dismantled but it does disappear between 1981 and 1998 on maps I've compared on historicaerials.com.  Interestingly part of the Visalia District Railroad Grade and the Lone Star station has been preserved in the produce warehouse yard which can be seen from Fowler Avenue looking east.


The Visalia District Railroad Grade is very evident one mile west of Lone Star at Clovis Avenue.



The legacy of Lone Star actually lives locally as the nearby grade school is named after the community.  Lone Star being located on Fowler Avenue is part of the Fresno County Blossom Trail, more information can be found here:

Fresno County Blossom Trail; 30th Anniversary

Interestingly Lone Star is located only two miles south of the former rail siding of Butler which is also on Fowler Avenue.

Nexus of the Universe; Bulter, CA ghost town site

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh