Skip to main content

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Dos Palos

Dos Palos is a city located in Merced County on California State Route 33.  Modern California State Route 33 passes through Dos Palos on a northward course via Elgin Avenue towards the California State Route 152 at Dos Palos Y.  Originally California State Route 33 entered Dos Palos via Brannon Avenue and Valeria Avenue from the Fresno County Line.  California State Route 33 passed through downtown Dos Palos via Center Avenue and Blossom Street towards Elgin Avenue.  North of Dos Palos at Dos Palos Y the routing California State Route 33 joined California State Route 152 via what is now Azusa Avenue.  Below the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Dos Palos can be observed on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Merced County.  


Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Dos Palos

The origin of the name of Dos Palos dates back to the 1820s and the explorations of San Joaquin Valley by Gabriel Moraga.  The area around the modern-day community of Dos Palos was identified by Moraga in his writings by two isolated poplar trees.  The two poplar trees were referred to as "Dos Palos" by Moraga when describing the area.  The two poplar trees identified by Moraga was cited as the boundary of Rancho Sanjon de Santa Rita when it granted by the Mexican Government during 1841.  During the American period of California, the Mexican land grants were honored by the State government.  Rancho Sanjon de Santa Rita was ultimately purchased by Henry Miller during 1866, the Dos Palos boundary having stuck as something of a naming convention. 

In 1891 Henry Miller was convinced to plot a siding community along the new Southern Pacific Railroad line in western San Joaquin Valley.  The location new siding community was given the name "Dos Palos Colony" in reference to the boundary of Rancho Sanjon de Santa Rita.  Dos Palos Colony was found to be located poor agricultural land which led to the creation of a second town site being plotted two miles to the east during 1892.  The second town site came to be known as "Colony Center" and began to thrive.  Dos Palos Colony managed to linger on given it was the location of Dos Palos Station.  

During 1906 the United States Post Office designated Dos Palos Colony as "South Dos Palos" and Colony Center as "Dos Palos."  The names of both communities ultimately stuck which would culminate with Dos Palos incorporating as a city on May 24th, 1935.  

State Highway service did not reach Dos Palos until 1933 when Legislative Route Number 41 (LRN 41) was expanded west from General Grant National Park (now Kings Canyon National Park) to Tracy.  LRN 41 through Dos Palos was announced as part of California State Route 33 (CA 33) in the 1934 California Highways & Public Works.  CA 33 was largely aligned through western San Joaquin Valley as a Sign State Route between then Tracy south to Maricopa. 


As noted in the intro the original alignment of CA 33/LRN 41 headed northbound crossed the Merced County Line via Brannon Avenue and Valeria Street into the community limit of Dos Palos.  CA 33/LRN 41 passed through downtown Dos Palos via Center Avenue, Blossom Street and followed Elgin Avenue towards CA 152 at Dos Palos Y.  From Dos Palos Y CA 33 northbound began a multiplex with CA 152 towards Los Banos.

CA 33/LRN 41 can be seen entering Merced County via Brannon Avenue and Valeria Street on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County.  


CA 33/LRN 41 can be seen passing through Dos Palos via Center Avenue, Blossom Street and Elgin Avenue towards Dos Palos Y on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Merced County.  


In 1964 the Legislative Route Numbers were dropped in favor of field signage.  CA 33 was simply reassigned as the new Legislative Route associated with Dos Palos given it was the existing Sign State Route.  Despite CA 33 being modernized decades earlier in nearby Firebaugh the initial alignment of the highway remained aligned through downtown Dos Palos.  The below image depicts CA 33 on the 1964 Division of Highways Map.


The November/December 1965 California Highways & Public Works announced CA 33 would be shifted to a bypass alignment of Dos Palos over a 5-mile project zone.  The realignment of CA 33 would originate at Laguna Canal in Fresno County and connect with Elgin Avenue in Dos Palos.  The realignment of CA 33 included widening the highway on Elgin Avenue to four-lanes.  Cost for the realignment of CA 33 in Dos Palos was shared by the State, Fresno County and city of Dos Palos.  


The November/December 1966 California Highway & Public Works announced CA 152/CA 33 would be converted to four-lane expressway from Los Banos 11 miles east to Dos Palos Y during the 1968-69 Fiscal Year.  The project is stated to include a bypass of Dos Palos Y and a new interchange from which CA 33 would depart towards Dos Palos.  


The new alignment of CA 33 in Dos Palos first appears on the 1967 Division of Highways Map


The realignment of CA 33/CA 152 at Dos Palos Y appears on the 1970 Division of Highways Map.  




Part 2; exploring the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Dos Palos

From modern CA 33 southbound/CA 152 eastbound traffic can diverge onto the original alignments of both highways on Azusa Avenue towards Dos Palos Y. 






The namesake Dos Palos Wye from which the community of Dos Palo Y derives its name can be found as Azusa Avenue intersects CA 33.  CA 152 eastbound would have continued straight on Azusa Avenue towards Chowchilla.  Dos Palos Y is not part of the city of Dos Palos and appears to have never been much more than a collection of now derelict roadside services.  


CA 33 southbound follows Elgin Avenue south approximately four miles into the city of Dos Palos.  At Blossom Street CA 33 southbound would have originally turned left.  


CA 33 southbound followed Blossom Street into downtown Dos Palos and turned right on Center Avenue.  







Looking back at the former alignment of CA 33 at Center Avenue and Blossom Street.


CA 33 southbound followed Center Avenue out of downtown Dos Palos and turned left on Valeria Avenue.  




CA 33 southbound followed Valeria Avenue into Fresno County and made a right hand turn onto Brannon Avenue.  








CA 33 southbound originally followed Brannon Avenue to the modern alignment at Laguna Canal towards Firebaugh.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh