California State Route 330 is an approximately fifteen-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernadino County. California State Route 330 begins at California State Route 210 near Highland and ascends into the San Bernadino Mountains via City Creek Road to California State Route 18 at Running Springs. City Creek Road was first developed in 1891 as a tolled facility and became a public highway in 1903. City Creek Road was brought into the State Highway System as Legislative Route Number 207 in 1937. The modernization of City Creek Road came after World War II as it was gradually improved via five project zones. The blog cover photo of City Creek Road was taken in 1951 after the final modernization project had concluded. City Creek Road was subsequently assigned as a component of California State Route 30 during 1953. City Creek Road was reassigned as California State Route 330 during 1972 when California State Route 30 was realigned to Redlands.
Part 1; the history of California State Route 330
The basis of California State Route 330 (CA 330) is City Creek Road between Highland and Running Springs. The City Creek Toll Road was constructed during 1891 for $52,000 dollars as an access roadway by the Highland Lumber Company. San Bernardino County purchased the City Creek Toll Road in 1903 via a provision by the State Legislature and made it a public highway. Upon purchasing City Creek Road, San Bernardino County widened it via use of prison labor.
The1935 Division of Highways Map of San Bernardino County displays City Creek Road as a major county highway between Highland and Running Springs.
City Creek Road was added to the State Highway System as part of 1937 Legislative Chapter 15 as Legislative Route Number 207 (LRN 207). City Creek Road was brought into the State Highway System due to the existing roadway being inadequate to handle modern traffic. LRN 207 originally carried the following definition:
"LRN 190 near Highland northeasterly to LRN 43 (CA 18); also from a point on said LRN 43 near where it crosses Deep Creek, thence northeasterly to and connecting Forest Service North Side Road in Green Valley."
LRN 207 first appears on the 1938 Division of Highways Map. LRN 207 appears with a second segment east of Running Springs which ended in Green Valley via Green Valley Lake Road.
1939 Legislative Chapter 473 recreated LRN 207 but did not make an alteration to the route definition. The definition of LRN 207 was altered by 1941 Legislative Chapter 142 which removed the Green Valley segment from the State Highway System. The truncated LRN 207 appears on the 1942 Division of Highways Map aligned between LRN 190 near Highland to CA 18/LRN 43 near Running Springs.
The paving and grading of LRN 207 over a distance of 16.4 miles appears in November/December 1943 California Highways & Public Works as a post-World War II project approved by the California Highway Commission.
The May/June 1946 California Highways & Public Works notes contracts had been awarded to pave 3.2 miles of LRN 207/City Creek Road and install a new bridge over City Creek.
The September/October 1947 California Highways & Public Works announced grading and construction of structures along LRN 207 from City Creek to Plunge Creek as being added to the 1947-48 Fiscal Year budget.
The September/October 1948 California Highways & Public Works announced LRN 207 from Long Point to 1.3 miles west of Running Springs was funded for grading/surfacing during the 1949-50 Fiscal Year.
The September/October 1951 California Highways & Public Works announced the completion of the modernization of City Creek Road as part of LRN 207. City Creek Road was modernized via five construction units which fully opened to traffic by August 19th, 1951.