Skip to main content

Springfield, TN Walkabout


Springfield is a community of about 18,000 and the seat of Robertson County.  It sits about an hour north of Nashville - allowing for the benefits of a small town but close enough to travel to and enjoy the luxuries of a large city.

Springfield was chartered as the Robertson County seat by the newly formed Tennessee General Assembly in 1796.  The town was laid out and established two years later; however, Springfield would not incorporate as a town until 1819.

Woodard Hall, built in 1899, is one of Downtown Springfield's oldest buildings.

Springfield was laid out on 50 acres of land.  The town included a public square, ten streets, and 66 lots available for purchase at $8/each.  The Springfield Public Square is where the Robertson County Courthouse sits today.

Roberston County Courthouse Clock Tower.

The current Robertson County Courthouse was constructed in 1879 with additions that included the clock tower built in 1929.  Since 1978, the courthouse has been on the National Register of Historic Places.


For decades, Springfield was known for its agriculture, specifically tobacco.  The community celebrated its notoriety as the home of the "World's Finest Dark Tobacco."  During the early and mid-20th century, a lit sign arched over US 41 (Dixie Highway) that boasted Springfield's claim.  Today, a building mural honors that sign.

116/118 6th Ave West in Springfield's Courthouse Square

Like many small towns throughout the country, Springfield's Downtown has numerous historic buildings.  About ten years ago, during the restoration of 116 & 118 6th Avenue West - developers came across a window transom with a unique design.  Through research, the building restoration crew discovered that the glass prism design was done by a young Frank Lloyd Wright when he was a designer at the Luxfer Prism Company in 1895.  The tiles and entire transom have been restored and are now prominently featured.

The restored transom featuring the Frank Lloyd Wright designed prisms.

Springfield has numerous local restaurants in and around town.  My personal favorite is Willie Mae's Barbecue, located at 200 8th Avenue East.  The town's local BBQ spot - Willie Mae's is run by a husband and wife team that serves lunch Tuesday through Fridays from 11:00 to 2:30 pm or - if it's a busy day - even earlier when they run out of food!

Lunch time at Willie Mae's.

The brisket is delicious, and my personal favorite is adding their BBQ sauce to the mac 'n cheese side.  You are always served with a friendly smile, and you'll always want to come back for more.

All photos taken by post author.

Further Reading:

How To Get There:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

The Putah Creek Bridge of Monticello (former California State Route 28)

The Putah Creek Bridge was a masonry structure constructed during 1896 by Napa County to serve the community of Monticello.  The Putah Creek Bridge would be annexed into the State Highway System in 1933 when Legislative Route Number 6 was extended from Woodland Junction to Napa.  The Putah Creek Bridge was a component of the original California State Route 28 from 1934-1952.  The span briefly became part of California State Route 128 in 1953 until the highway was relocated as part of the Monticello Dam project in 1955.  Today the Putah Creek Bridge sits at the bottom of the Lake Berryessa reservoir and is accessible to divers.  Pictured as the blog cover is the Putah Creek Bridge as it was featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.   California State Route 28 can be seen crossing the Putah Creek Bridge near Monticello on the 1943 United States Geological Survey map of Copay.   The history of the Putah Creek Bridge The site of Monticello lies under the waters