Skip to main content

Pier Covered Bridge - New Hampshire

 


The Pier Covered Bridge in Newport, New Hampshire is a bit of a rarity, as not many covered bridges that were originally built for use by railroads are still in existence today. There are only a handful railroad covered bridges still around today, two which happen to be located in Newport (the Wright's Covered Bridge is the other). Also known as the Chandler Station Covered Bridge, the 216 foot long bridge over the Sugar River was originally built in 1907 as one of fifteen railroad covered bridges that once followed the Newport section of the Claremont and Concord Railroad, which was part of the Boston and Maine Railroad system. This makes it the longest covered railroad bridge in the world still in existence. The bridge was built in a double Town-Pratt lattice truss design and was constructed to replace an earlier covered bridge at the same location. The double Town-Pratt lattice trusses with laminated arches were long favored for construction on the branch lines of the Boston and Maine Railroad. In 1900, at least one hundred of this type were in use on the Boston and Maine Railroad system alone, with 15 of those railroad covered bridges being found in Newport. The Pier Covered Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


Today, the Pier Covered Bridge lives a quiet existence as part of the Sugar River Trail, which is a recreational rail trail of about nine miles in length, following the Sugar River in Newport and neighboring Claremont, New Hampshire. During one of my many trips to New Hampshire, I checked out the Pier Covered Bridge, exploring its tall, narrow and sleek nooks and crannies. It looks like a swell place to take a bicycle or long walk, or just to passively recreate on a sunny day. You can find the Pier Covered Bridge by taking a drive down a scenic local road called the Chandlers Mill Road, less than a mile west of its junction with NH Routes 11 and 103 near scenic Newport, New Hampshire.












How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Lake Sunapee Living - Lake Sunapee Covered Bridges
New Hampshire Bridges - Pier Bridge
Wright Construction Company - Pier & Wright Covered Bridge - NH
Bridgehunter.com - Sugar River Trail - Pier Railroad Covered Bridge 29-10-03#2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car