Skip to main content

Groveton Covered Bridge - New Hampshire



The centerpiece of the northern New Hampshire village of Groveton is the Groveton Covered Bridge. Built in 1852 by Captain Charles Richardson and his son, the Groveton Covered Bridge is 131 feet long and was designed with a Paddleford truss design which is commonly found among covered bridges in New England. The bridge spans the Upper Ammonoosuc River, connecting US 3 with NH 110. The bridge is no longer in use for vehicle traffic, but it was part of US 3 until a new bridge was built for the highway in 1939, bypassing the covered bridge. The covered bridge remains in place for historical and recreational purposes.

Renowned covered bridge restoration experts who should be familiar to those with an interest in New Hampshire's covered bridges, Milton Graton and his son, Arnold Graton, repaired the bridge between the years of 1964 and 1965. Further repairs took place in 2020, after a $10,000 Moose Plate grant was approved on December 18, 2019. The repairs included removing and replacing the clapboards on the north end of the bridge, removing and replacing at least half of the boards on south end gable, removing and replacing at least one strut on the bridge’s downstream side, along with giving the bridge a nice, fresh coat of paint.

I visited the Groveton Covered Bridge before this new paint job was given. It is a nice covered bridge to stop at and admire, perhaps have a picnic lunch inside the bridge or to go fishing on the river near the bridge.








How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
Bridgehunter.com - Groveton Covered Bridge 29-04-04
NHTourGuide.com - Groveton Covered Bridge New Hampshire
Greg Disch Photography - Groveton Covered Bridge
New Hampshire Bridges - Groveton Covered Bridge
Ontfin.com - Groveton Covered Bridge, New Hampshire
Stay Work Play New Hampshire - A Day Trip Through the North Country
National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges - Bridges Under Repair 
Library of Congress - The 126-foot-long Groveton, New Hampshire, Covered Bridge over the Upper Ammanoosuc River, constructed in 1852

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The original alignment of California State Route 1 in San Francisco

In 2019 the Gribblenation Blog Series covered the history of the Hyde Street Pier and the original surface alignment of US Route 101 in San Francisco.  Given the Golden Gate Bridge opened to traffic in May of 1937 coupled with the fact that the Sign State Routes had been announced in August of 1934 there were still some open questions regarding the original highway alignments in San Francisco.  Namely the question of this blog is; where was California State Route 1 prior to the completion of the Golden Gate Bridge?  Thanks the to the discovery of a 1936 Shell Highway Map of San Francisco and the California Highways & Public Works the answer can be conveyed clearly.     Part 1; the history of early California State Route 1 in San Francisco The genesis point for California State Route 1 ("CA 1") in San Francisco dates to 1933.  1933 was significant due to the State Legislature allowing the Division of Highways to assume maintenance of highways in Cities for the first time. 

Former California State Route 24 through the Kennedy Tunnel and Old Tunnel Road

 Near the eastern City Limit of Oakland high in the Berkeley Hills one can be find the ruins of the Kennedy Tunnel at the intersection of Old Tunnel Road and Skyline Boulevard.  The Kennedy Tunnel opened in 1903 and was the first semi-modern automotive corridor which crossed the Alameda County-Contra Costa County Line.  The Kennedy Tunnel even saw service briefly as part of California State Route 24 before the first two bores of the Caldecott Tunnel opened in 1937.   Part 1; the history of the Kennedy Tunnel The genesis point for California State Route 24 ("CA 24") being extended into the San Francisco Bay Area begins a couple years before the Sign State Routes were announced when Legislative Route Number 75 ("LRN 75") was added by 1931 Legislative Chapter 82.  According to cahighways.org the original definition of LRN 75 was as simply "Walnut Creek to Oakland."  The instigator for the adoption of LRN 75 was construct a replacement route for the Ken

Santa Clara County Route G8 and the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine

Santa Clara County Route G8 is a 29.38 mile County Sign Route which is part of the San Francisco Bay Area transportation corridor.  Santa Clara County Route G8 begins at California State Route 152 near the outskirts of Gilroy and terminates at former US Route 101 at 1st Street/Monterey Road near downtown San Jose.  Santa Clara County Route G8 incorporates the notable Almaden Expressway and is historically tied to the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine.   (Santa Clara County Route G8 map image courtesy CAhighways.org) Part 1; the history of Santa Clara County Route G8, the Almaden Road corridor and New Almaden Mine The present corridor of Santa Clara County Route G8 ("G8") began to take shape with the emergence of the Almaden Expressway.  According to the October 1960 California Highways & Public Works Unit 1 of the Almaden Expressway opened in November of 1959 between Alma Avenue near downtown San Jose south to the Guadalupe River as part of a Federal Highway Aid Secondary pro