Skip to main content

California State Route 253

California State Route 253 ("CA 253") is a 17 mile State Highway located entirely in within Mendocino County.  California State Route 253 originates at US Route 101 near Ukiah and terminates at CA 128 near Boonville.




Part 1; the history of California State Route 253

According to CAhighways.org California State Route 253 was added to the State Highway System as part of 1963 Legislative Chapter 2155.  Given that California State Route 253 ("CA 253") was added by the Legislature in the run up to the 1964 State Highway Renumbering it never had a Legislative Route Number.  CA 253 first appears as a planned State Highway on the 1964 Division of Highways Map.  The planned route of CA 253 appears north of the existing Ukiah-Boonville Road.  The original route definition of CA 253 was "from Route 128 near Boonville to Route 101 near Ukiah."



The addition of a new highway between Boonville and Ukiah is mentioned in the September/October 1963 California Highways & Public Works.


The planned alignment of CA 253 was ultimately cancelled and the highway was assigned to Boonville-Ukiah Road.  CA 253 first appears on Boonville-Ukiah Road on the 1967 Division of Highways Map.


The subject of CA 253 on Boonville-Ukiah Road is addressed in the July/August 1966 California Highways & Public Works.  The history of Boonville-Ukiah Road is stated in the article to have begun in 1851 when it was known as the Anderson Valley Trail.  The article elaborates that in 1868 John Gsehwind successfully petitioned the State Legislature to upgrade the existing Anderson Valley Trail to a franchise toll road.  The Gsehwind Toll Road was primarily used to transport lumber and eventually was incorporated into Mendocino County's public road system no later than 1896.  The Gsehwind Toll Road became Boonville-Ukiah Road and was upgraded to a 10 foot width during 1896.  Boonville-Ukiah Road was further modernized beginning in 1952 under the Federal Aid Secondary program.  The article states Boonville-Ukiah Road formally became CA 253 upon the completion of the final improvement contract during March 1963.





Boonville-Ukiah Road can be seen on the 1917 California State Automobile Association Map.


Boonville-Ukiah Road can be seen as a major county highway on the 1935 California Division of Highways Map of Mendocino County.



Part 2; a drive on California State Route 253

Our drive on CA 253 begins from US 101 northbound near Ukiah.  US 101 north Exit 546 transitions onto CA 253 westbound at State Street. 





 
 
At Postmile MEN 16.863 CA 253 westbound transitions onto Boonville-Ukiah Road.   Truck traffic is given a 30 foot advisory at the transition to Boonville-Ukiah Road.


 
 
Approaching Robinson Creek CA 253 traffic is advised of 15 miles of curvy roads.  CA 253 westbound crosses Robinson Creek at approximately Postmile MEN 15.070.  Traffic is further advised that CA 128/Boonville are 16 miles westward whereas as CA 1 is 46 miles. 






CA 253 west of Robinson Creeks begins a lengthy elevation climb. 
























CA 253 westbound climbs a narrow ridge line and enters the Navarro River Watershed.  Upon reaching the Navarro River Watershed CA 253 west traffic is advised of a 9% downhill grade.  

















Upon entering the Navarro River Watershed CA 253 west traffic is advised CA 128 is 6 miles away whereas CA 1 is signed as 36 miles away.  





CA 253 west enters Bell Valley, crosses Soda Creek, and passes by a business known as "The Toll House" in what is likely a reference to the Gsehwind Toll Road.   CA 253 west follows Soda Creek to a small community known as Soda Springs at Postmile MEN 4.00.










Traffic on CA 253 west of Soda Springs is advised of another 9% downhill grade.  


CA 253 west follows the course of Soda Creek to it's terminus at CA 128 on the outskirts of Boonville. 





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Smithtown Bull in Smithtown, New York

  Before I moved to Upstate New York as a young man, I grew up in the Long Island town of Smithtown during the 1980s and 1990s. The recognizable symbol of Smithtown is a bronze statue of a bull named Whisper, located at the junction of NY Route 25 and NY Route 25A near the bridge over the Nissequogue River. Why a bull, you may ask. The bull is a symbol of a legend related to the town's founding in 1665 by Richard "Bull" Smythe, with a modernized name of Richard Smith. It also so happens that there is a story behind the legend, one that involves ancient land right transfers and some modern day roads as well. So the story goes that Smythe made an agreement with a local Indian tribe where Smythe could keep whatever land he circled around in a day's time riding atop his trusty bull. Choosing the longest day of the year for his ride, he set out with his bull Whisper and went about riding around the borders of the Town of Smithtown. As legend has it, Smythe t

The Midway Palm and Pine of US Route 99

Along modern day California State Route 99 south of Avenue 11 just outside the City limits of Madera one can find the Midway Palm and Pine in the center median of the freeway.  The Midway Palm and Pine denotes the halfway point between the Mexican Border and Oregon State Line on what was US Route 99.  The Midway Palm is intended to represent Southern California whereas the Midway Pine is intended to represent Northern California.  Pictured above the Midway Palm and Pine can be seen from the northbound lanes of the California State Route 99 Freeway.   The history of the Midway Palm and Pine The true timeframe for when the Midway Palm and Pine (originally a Deadora Cedar Tree) were planted is unknown.  In fact the origin of the Midway Palm and Pine was referenced in California's Gold Episode #608 during which Huell Howser examined numerous points claimed to be the Center of California.  During Episode #608 Huell Howser interviews Caltrans employee Bob Thompson who emphasizes there wa

Erie Canal: Little Falls and Moss Island

  Little Falls, New York is a small city in the Mohawk Valley that has been shaped by the forces of water throughout its history. Nowhere in Little Falls is that more evident than at Moss Island. Representing the Industrial Age, this is home of Lock 17 the tallest lock along the Erie Canal, but there is also evidence of the Ice Age in the form of 40 foot deep glacial potholes from when there was an ancient waterfall that was even larger than Niagara Falls at this spot, once draining Glacial Lake Iroquois when other outlets (such as the St. Lawrence River) were blocked by retreating glaciers. While Little Falls does not have the amount of industry around the river and canal than it once had, checking out what Moss Island has to offer is a great way to see what the city has to offer. Visiting Moss Island allows you to experience the engineering marvel that is the Erie Canal plus the wonders of nature by taking a hike around the island and seeing the glacial potholes. A