Skip to main content

Belle Chasse-Scarsdale Ferry (Belle Chasse, LA)

The southernmost reaches of the Mississippi River downriver from greater New Orleans can only be crossed by way of remote & lightly-trafficked ferries and this service, which connects the communities of Belle Chasse and Scarsdale in northern Plaquemines Parish, is the northernmost of the two cross-river ferries in Louisiana’s southernmost parish. Like its neighboring ferries, this crossing requires the payment of a toll and ferries depart from each landing every 30 minutes on most days.

A commercial ferry service was established at this location in 1959. Since 2013, the ferry has been the southernmost crossing of the Mississippi River open to most commercial vehicles. These vehicles were barred indefinitely from the downriver Pointe à la Hache Ferry at the time and this ferry crossing took on somewhat greater importance as a result. The eastern ferry landing leads to LA Highway 39, which follows the east bank of the river southward toward Pointe à la Hache and northward toward St. Bernard Parish and greater New Orleans. LA Highway 3137, known as English Turn Road – a former alignment of the east bank highway, also begins at the eastern landing and follows the river for a short distance northward. The western ferry landing leads to LA Highway 23 (sometimes known as Belle Chasse Highway), which follows the west bank of the river northward into greater New Orleans and southward toward Venice and the mouth of the Mississippi River.

This ferry route is located near a popular anchorage point for ocean-going vessels seeking to travel upriver on the Mississippi River through and beyond New Orleans. On any given day, travelers on the ferry will be able to view the line of anchored ships in the river awaiting passage to their destinations inland. This ferry is also located near the so-called “English Turn”, a prominent 120-degree bend in the Mississippi River, named for a chance encounter in 1699 between the initial French explorers to the area and a competing British exploration party. The French party, led by Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, who would go on to establish the permanent settlement of New Orleans in 1718, were successful in convincing the British party to abandon their exploration of the area out of concern that their French rivals had already laid claim to the area.

The following pictures were taken during my eastbound crossing of the Belle Chasse Ferry in January 2018. Included in this set are pictures of English Turn Road (LA Highway 3137). Click on each photo to see a larger version.

Dashcam video of the eastbound trip over the Belle Chasse Ferry was filmed in January 2018 for the 'roadwaywiz' YouTube channel and is available for viewing at the link below:


How To Get There:

Bridges, Crossings, and Structures of the Lower Mississippi River
Next Crossing upriver: Chalmette-Lower Algiers Ferry (Chalmette, LA)
Next Crossing downriver: Pointe a la Hache Ferry (Pointe a la Hache, LA)
Return to the Bridges of the Lower Mississippi River Home Page
__________________________________________________

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Highways: The Unbuilt New Orleans Bypass (Proposed I-410)

  There are many examples around the United States of proposed freeway corridors in urban areas that never saw the light of day for one reason or another. They all fall somewhere in between the little-known and the infamous and from the mundane to the spectacular. One of the more obscure and interesting examples of such a project is the short-lived idea to construct a southern beltway for the New Orleans metropolitan area in the 1960s and 70s. Greater New Orleans and its surrounding area grew rapidly in the years after World War II, as suburban sprawl encroached on the historically rural downriver parishes around the city. In response to the development of the region’s Westbank and the emergence of communities in St. Charles and St. John the Baptist Parishes as viable suburban communities during this period, regional planners began to consider concepts for new infrastructure projects to serve this growing population.  The idea for a circular freeway around the southern perimeter of t

Hernando de Soto Bridge (Memphis, TN)

The newest of the bridges that span the lower Mississippi River at Memphis, the Hernando de Soto Bridge was completed in 1973 and carries Interstate 40 between downtown Memphis and West Memphis, AR. The bridge’s signature M-shaped superstructure makes it an instantly recognizable landmark in the city and one of the most visually unique bridges on the Mississippi River. As early as 1953, Memphis city planners recommended the construction of a second highway bridge across the Mississippi River to connect the city with West Memphis, AR. The Memphis & Arkansas Bridge had been completed only four years earlier a couple miles downriver from downtown, however it was expected that long-term growth in the metro area would warrant the construction of an additional bridge, the fourth crossing of the Mississippi River to be built at Memphis, in the not-too-distant future. Unlike the previous three Mississippi River bridges to be built the city, the location chosen for this bridge was about two

Memphis & Arkansas Bridge (Memphis, TN)

  Like the expansion of the railroads the previous century, the modernization of the country’s highway infrastructure in the early and mid 20th Century required the construction of new landmark bridges along the lower Mississippi River (and nation-wide for that matter) that would facilitate the expected growth in overall traffic demand in ensuing decades. While this new movement had been anticipated to some extent in the Memphis area with the design of the Harahan Bridge, neither it nor its neighbor the older Frisco Bridge were capable of accommodating the sharp rise in the popularity and demand of the automobile as a mode of cross-river transportation during the Great Depression. As was the case 30 years prior, the solution in the 1940s was to construct a new bridge in the same general location as its predecessors, only this time the bridge would be the first built exclusively for vehicle traffic. This bridge, the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge, was completed in 1949 and was the third