Skip to main content

Coombs Covered Bridge - New Hampshire


 
Built in 1837, the Coombs Covered Bridge is a 107-foot-long covered bridge built in a Town lattice truss design, featuring a low clearance of 8 feet, 3 inches in height. The bridge spans across the Ashuelot River and is located on Old Westport Road in Winchester, New Hampshire, and is named for Anthony Coombs, Jr., who was a farmer who had a home in the local area. Whether Coombs was the original builder of the bridge or if the town decided that a covered bridge was needed at that location is unclear after a couple of centuries, one of the many historical notes that have been lost to time. However, this did not stop the Coombs Covered Bridge from becoming listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The covered bridge features stone abutments that are not secured with mortar or concrete, with the stones stacked atop each other. In 1984, the State of New Hampshire had plans to bypass the Coombs Covered Bridge, but instead of building a new bridge, the decision was later made to rehabilitate the bridge, just like what had been done previously in 1971. In 1997 and 1998, the bridge was rehabilitated by 3G Construction, which is owned by Stan Graton II, part of a family that specializes in covered bridge restoration. Today, you can drive across the Coombs Covered Bridge and take in the quiet surroundings. You can also combine visiting the Coombs Covered Bridge with seeing a number of other covered bridges nearby in places such as Ashuelot or Swanzey.




How to Get There:



Sources and Links:
NH Granite State Ambassadors - NH Covered Bridges
Monadnock Region - Covered Bridges in the Monadnock Region
The Pennsylvania Rambler - Coombs Covered Bridge
Stan Graton II 3G Construction - Coombs Covered Bridge, Winchester NH
DaleJTravis.com - New Hampshire Covered Bridges List

Return to: Gribblenation / Covered Bridge Adventures

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former California State Route 180 in Centerville

Centerville is one of the oldest communities in what is now Fresno County having been founded as Scottsburg in 1854.  The Centerville community has historically been tied to the history of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road and the Squaw Valley Road.  The Squaw Valley Road would later be known as Dunlap Road and became a component of California State Route 180 in August 1934.  By the 1940s the corridor was renamed Kings Canyon Road in reference to Kings Canyon National Park.  For the majority of the life of California State Route 180 in Centerville, it has not strayed far from Kings Canyon Road.  This changed in 2020 when California State Route 180 was relocated onto the Kings Canyon Expressway.  This blog serves as an overview of the history of California State Route 180 and general evolution of highways in Centerville.  California State Route 180 can be seen passing through Centerville and Minkler below on the 1935 Division of Highways map of Fresno Count...

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The last 1956-63 era California Sign State Route Spade?

Along southbound California State Route 170 (the Hollywood Freeway Extension) approaching the Hollywood Freeway/Ventura Freeway interchange a white California State Route 134 Sign State Route Spade can be observed on guide sign.  These white spades were specifically used during the 1956-63 era and have become increasingly rare.  This blog is intended to serve as a brief history of the Sign State Route Spade.  We also ask you as the reader, is this last 1956-63 era Sign State Route Spade or do you know of others?  Part 1; the history of the California Sign State Route Spade Prior to the Sign State Route System, the US Route System and the Auto Trails were the only highways in California signed with reassurance markers.  The creation of the US Route System by the American Association of State Highway Officials during November 1926 brought a system of standardized reassurance shields to major highways in California.  Early efforts to create a Sign State Route ...