Skip to main content

Travel New England: Old Drake Hill Flower Bridge


Nestled in the town of Simsbury, Connecticut is a rather unique bridge that crosses some 18 feet over the Farmington River. That bridge is the Old Drake Hill Flower Bridge. Built in 1892 by J.E. Buddington of New Haven, Connecticut, this old metal truss bridge is 183 feet in length and has served various types of transportation modes throughout its history. In fact, it is one of only three Parker through truss bridges that remain in the State of Connecticut. While people had crossed the Drake Hill Road bridge for decades, whether it be with a horse and buggy or a car, I'm not sure that people from earlier generations could have imagined the current chapter of this bridge's life.

While a modern two lane bridge was opened just to the north of the Old Drake Hill Flower Bridge in 1992, the old bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. Given its status as a historic bridge, the old bridge remained in use for pedestrians and bicycles. Then in 1995, the bridge was restored at the cost of $575,000, with 80% of the cost being handled through federal transportation grants.

Today's chapter in the life of the Old Drake Hill Flower Bridge got its start in 1996, when the idea came about to beautify the bridge in the spirit of the Bridge of Flowers in Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts. The community has come together to place a total of 118 floral arrangements along the sides of the bridge, including 72 flower boxes, 32 hanging baskets and 14 border Column Baskets and Cottage Gardens, which are planted and maintained by a dedicated group of volunteers. The flower boxes on the bridge are replaced by local high school students.

In 2019, the bridge was temporarily closed for improvements. The Town of Simsbury added more parking, a pavilion for visitors, walking paths, and river access for launching watercraft. Plus there's opportunities to combine a visit to the Old Drake Hill Flower Bridge for longer range recreation as well, since the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail passes near the bridge. I have passed by or checked out the Old Drake Hill Flower Bridge a few times during my travels around the Constitution State. The photos below are from an August 2022 visit to the bridge.

The Old Drake Hill Flower Bridge brimming with flowers on a quiet late August afternoon.

Historic bridge plaque.

The bridge looks inviting for pedestrians exploring the bridge at any pace, even if it's just to smell the flowers.

East portal of the bridge.

The Farmington River, which runs from the Berkshires to the Connecticut River. Further upstream, you may find people tubing down the Farmington River, depending on the season.

A hanging basket.

Admiring the truss work of the bridge.

Stopping to smell the flowers.

Bridge plaques.

East portal of the Old Drake Hill Flower Bridge.

A parting side shot of the bridge.

How to Get There:

Sources and Links:
Town of Simsbury Connecticut - The Old Drake Hill Flower Bridge
CTMQ - The Old Drake Hill Flower Bridge
Connecticut Explored - Saving a Bridge with Flowers
Bridgehunter - Drake Hill Road Bridge


Popular posts from this blog

Dillon Road

Dillon Road is a 34.2-mile highway located in northern Coachella Valley of Riverside County, California.  Dillon Road begins at Avenue 48 on the outskirts of Indio and ends to the west at California State Route 62 near San Gorgonio Pass.  Dillon Road was developed the 1930s as a construction road for the Colorado River Aqueduct.  Dillon Road serves as a northern bypass to much of the development of Coachella Valley.  Dillon Road is known for it's frequent dips and spectacular views of San Gorgonio Pass.   Part 1; the history of Dillon Road Dillon Road was constructed as a haul road for the Colorado River Aqueduct through Coachella Valley.  The Colorado River Aqueduct spans 242 miles from Parker Dam on the Colorado River west to Lake Mathews near Corona.  Construction of the Colorado River Aqueduct began during January 1933 near Thousand Palms and was made functional on January 7, 1939.  West of Berdoo Canyon Road the alignment of Dillon Road is largely concurrent with the Colorado

Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road

Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road is an approximately 21-mile highway located in southeast Kern County.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road begins at Tehachapi Boulevard (former US Route 466) in Tehachapi and crosses the Tehachapi Mountains via the 4,820-foot-high Oak Creek Pass.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road enters Antelope Valley of the wider Mojave Desert and passes by the historic stage station of Willow Springs to a southern terminus at Rosamond Boulevard.  Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road has historic ties to the Havilah-Los Angeles Road and Stockton-Los Angeles Road due to the once reliable presence of water at Willow Springs. Part 1; the history of Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road Oak Creek Pass and Willow Springs were known to the local tribes of the Tehachapi Mountains for generations.  The first documented European crossing of Oak Creek Pass was during 1776 as part of an expedition by Francisco Garces.  Oak Creek Pass is as used again by John C. Fremont during an 1844-1845 expedition to e

The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge

The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge is a derelict structure located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of Placer County, California.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge can be found between the communities of Colfax and Iowa Hill.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge is a wire suspension structure which spans the North Fork American River.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge was replaced by a modern span and converted to pedestrian use following floods during 1963.   Part 1; the history of the 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge During 1853 gold was discovered at what to become Iowa Hill.  The gold mining claims soon led to a small community known as Iowa City being established.   By 1854, Post Office Service began at the mines of Iowa City.  By 1856 gold production at Iowa City was estimated to be around $100,000.  Iowa City was burned in fires during 1857 and 1862 but the community was rebuilt with more modernized structures.   The location of Iowa City can be seen as "Iowa Hill" on the 1873 Bancroft