Skip to main content

Vicksburg Mississippi River Bridges


Built nearly 45 years apart, the Mississippi River bridges in Vicksburg, MS are a great demonstration of how transportation and traffic changed dramatically in the United States during the 20th Century.


Opened in 1930, what is now known as the Old Vicksburg Bridge, was a missing link in the early American transportation network. Prior to the bridge's completion, all vehicle and rail traffic had to cross the Mississippi via ferry. The newly completed bridge solved that issue by having one rail line and an 18-foot roadway cross the mighty river.

The bridge, at the time the only Mississippi River bridge south of Memphis, would be a key connection for east-west travel in the South.


However, the bridge would quickly become outdated. At only 18 feet wide, the roadway was extremely difficult for trucks to navigate - and in later years the bridge would halt traffic to allow trucks to cross along with daytime-only crossings.

With the creation of the Interstate Highway System, the bridge would not be able to handle any of the modern freeway traffic. The new Vicksburg Bridge - located immediately downriver - opened in 1973. The new bridge carries four lanes of Interstate 20 and US 80 traffic on a 60-foot-wide highway.


The old Vicksburg Bridge didn't go away quietly. It continued to carry vehicular traffic until 1998. Freight trains still use the old Vicksburg Bridge to this day. The bridge will also 'open' occasionally for bike and pedestrian traffic for various festivals or race events.

All photos taken by post author - April 2010.

Further Reading:
How To Get There:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Huey P. Long Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

The decade of the 1930s brought unprecedented growth and development to Louisiana’s transportation infrastructure as the cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge cemented their place as leading urban centers on the Gulf Coast. In the immediate aftermath of the success garnered by the construction of the massive bridge on the Mississippi River near New Orleans in 1935, planning and construction commenced on the state’s second bridge over the great river. This new bridge, located on the north side of Baton Rouge, was to be similar in design and form to its downriver predecessor. Completed in 1940 as the second bridge across the Mississippi River in Louisiana and the first to be built in the Baton Rouge area, this bridge is one of two bridges on the Mississippi named for Huey P. Long, a Louisiana politician who served as the 40th Governor of the State from 1928 to 1932, then as U.S. Senator from 1932 until his death by assassination at the state capitol in Baton Rouge on September 10, 1935