In this edition of Paper Highways, we examine the history unbuilt California State Route 285. California State Route 285 was defined by way of 1970 Legislative Chapter 1473 between Portola to the Grizzly Reservoir. What was to become California State Route 285 was never constructed to State Highway standards and was deleted by 1998 Assembly Bill 2132, Chapter 877. Above as the blog cover planned California State Route 285 can be seen on the 1975 Caltrans Map.
The history of California State Route 284 and unconstructed California State Route 285
California State Route 285 (CA 285) was adopted as part of 1970 Legislative Chapter 1473. CA 285 was designated as a highway connecting from Route 70 on West Street in Portola northwesterly to the north city limits then to Lake Davis via Humbug Canyon. Legislative Chapter 1473 defined numerous State Highways during 1970, some of the others include CA 284, CA 283, CA 281, CA 271, and CA 270.
Notably the Chapter 1473 State Highways appear to have been contingent that an existing roadway be built to State Highway Standards or would be built up to them shortly. Lake Davis was completed by the California Department of Water Resources during 1966. Unlike nearby Frenchman Lake a new roadway had to be built to the site of Grizzly Valley Dam on Big Grizzly Creek. According to CAhighways.org by 1972 about 4.8 miles of the planned 8 miles of CA 285 on West Street and Lake Davis Road were constructed. CAhighways.org goes elaborates further stating that West Street and Lake Davis Road were noted to have drainage issues which likely kept them from meeting State Highway standards.
On the 1975 Caltrans State Highway Map the planned route of CA 285 appears for the first time.
CA 285 was deleted in 1998 via Assembly Bill 2132, Chapter 877. The last time the planned route of CA 285 appears on a Caltrans State Highway Map is the 1990 edition.