Skip to main content

Lodi Mission Arch



Recently while visiting Central California, I stopped in downtown Lodi to see the Lodi Mission Arch.

This blog is part of the larger Gribblenation US Route 99 Page.  For more information pertaining to the other various segments of US Route 99 and it's three-digit child routes check out the link the below.



The Lodi Mission Arch

The Lodi Mission Arch is located on the eastern side of the intersection of Pine Street at Sacramento Street near the Union Pacific rails.  The Lodi Mission Arch is part of what is known as Mission Revival architecture which replicates the design of the Spanish Missions of Las Californians.  In the case of the Lodi Mission Arch it was constructed in 1907 for the first Tokay Carnival.  In 1956 the Lodi Mission Arch was rebuilt in 1956 with the structure essentially being unaltered since.





Of note; Lodi was originally a Central Pacific Railroad siding known as Mokelumne Station which was constructed in 1869.  Mokelumne Station was named after the nearby river but the name was confusing since so many communities had similar names.  In 1873 the community name was changed to Lodi and the origin of said name appears to have come a local horse which had run a record four mile time in the 1860s.   Sacramento Street was the early downtown hub of Lodi as most of it's businesses were located between Elm Street south to Oak Street.


Interestingly the Lodi Mission Arch was never part of any major highways like the Lincoln Highway or US 99.  The early route of the Lincoln Highway largely bypassed downtown Lodi in favor of Lower Sacramento Street to the west of the Lodi Mission Arch.  Street car service by way of Sacramento Street did go as far south as Stockton by 1907 and north to Sacramento by 1910.  US 99 and the 1927 route of the Lincoln Highway bypassed the Lodi Mission Arch to the east on Cherokee Lane.  Nonetheless the Lodi Mission Arch still served as the gateway into downtown Lodi.  This becomes apparent heading westward from what was US 99 on Cherokee Lane on Pine Street towards Sacramento Street.







Further Reading

Interested in reading about the history of US Route 99 in Lodi, Galt and Elk Grove?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th