Skip to main content

California State Route 147

Back in 2014 I drove a small portion of California State Route 147 along the eastern shore of Lake Almanor.


CA 147 is a 12 mile north/south State Highway which begins near Canyon Dam at CA 89 in Plumas County and ends at CA 36 in Westwood of Lassen County.  CA 147 was originally adopted into the State Highway System in 1961 as Legislative Route Number 183.

CAhighways.org on LRN 183

LRN 183 was adopted onto pre-existing roadways which can be seen by comparing the 1961 State Highway Map to the 1962 Edition.

1961 State Highway Map

1962 State Highway Map 

The roadways now comprising CA 147 are presently part of the Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway.  The roadways comprising CA 147 are shown on California Division of Highways Maps of Plumas County and Lassen County as major County Highways.

1935 Plumas County Highway Map

1935 Lassen County Highway Map

During the 1964 State Highway Renumbering LRN 183 was reassigned CA 147.  This change can be seen by comparing the 1963 State Highway Map to the 1964 Edition.

1963 State Highway Map

1964 State Highway Map

CA 147 since 1964 has essentially had no significant changes.

CAhighways.org on CA 147

CA 147 begins at Post Mile PLU 0.000 at CA 89 near Canyon Dam.   Canyon Dam is an earthen design that was first completed by 1914.  Upon the completion of Canyon Dam the waters of Lake Almanor began be filled by the impounded North Fork Feather River, Benner Creek, Hamilton Creek and Hamilton Branch.  Canyon Dam is part of the Upper North Fork Feather River Project which was conceived by the Great Western Powerhouse Company in the early 1900s.  Canyon Dam was expanded by 1927 before the entirety of the Great Western Powerhouse Company was acquired by Pacific Gas & Electricity by 1930.  Canyon Dam was expanded to it's present 130 foot height by 1962 and the present Lake Almanor has a maximum capacity of approximately 1,308,000 acre feet of water.  Much of Canyon Dam and it's spillway are within walking distance of the south terminus of CA 147.




At Post Mile PLU 4.585 CA 147 passes through the community of East Shore.  At Post Mile PLU 7.369 CA 147 has a junction with Signed County Route A13 in Hamilton Branch.  At approximately PLU 9.990 CA 147 enters Lassen County.   At Post Mile LAS 1.15 CA 147 enters Westwood and meets Signed County Route A21 at 3rd Street.  Westwood dates back to 1913 when it was founded as a company town for the Red River Lumber County.  At approximately Post Mile LAS 1.786 CA 147 has a north terminus at CA 89.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New River Gorge National River Area To Become A National Park

Great news for those that enjoy National Parks, West Virginia's New River Gorge Region, or West Virginia tourism.  Included within the Fiscal Year 2021 Omnibus Appropriations Bill signed by President Trump last night (December 27th) is the New River Gorge Park and Preserve Designation Act.   The act will designate the existing New River National River and over 72,000 acres of land within it as a National Park and Preserve. The New River Gorge Bridge will continue to be the centerpiece of the new New River Gorge National Park and Preserve. (Adam Prince, 2007) The river and surrounding land, which was added to the National Park System in 1978, will be our 63rd National Park.   The designation preserves over 7,000 acres as a National Park.  This area will not allow any hunting.  The remaining 65,000 acres of the existing park will be designated as a preserve allowing hunting and fishing. The main attractions to the New River Gorge - whitewater rafting, camping, hiking, mountain bikin

Douglas Memorial Bridge; the ruins of US Route 101 and the Redwood Highway over the Klamath River

Near the village of Klamath in southern Del Norte County, California sits the ruins of Douglas Memorial Bridge which once carried US Route 101 and the Redwood Highway over the Klamath River.  The Douglas Memorial Bridge was a arch concrete span which once crossed the Klamath River.  The Douglas Memorial Bridge was noted for it's unique grizzly bear statues which still adorn the remains of the structure.  Completed in 1926 the Douglas Memorial Bridge was the original alignment of US Route 101 ("US 101") and stood until it was destroyed by the Christmas Floods of 1964.  The Douglas Memorial Bridge is named in honor of G.H. Douglas who was a Assemblyman of the First District of California.  Below the Douglas Memorial Bridge can be seen during it's prime (courtesy bridgehunter ).  Part 1; the history of the Douglas Memorial Bridge The history of what would become US 101/Redwood Highway begins with the approval of the 1909 First State Highway Bond Act .  The First Stat

The Great PA 48 Clearance Sale

It's not often that any department of transportation sells land it purchased.  They are usually in the business of acquiring land for right-of-way.  But in 1982, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation did exactly that.  Offering to buyers land it purchased just 15 years earlier for the never-built Route 48 Expressway. Background: The sale was a result of the 1970s cash crunch the PennDOT experienced.  Many projects were cut back, shelved, or eliminated.  The 'New 48', or the North-South Parkway, which was touted for nearly 20 years as a connection from the industrial Mon Valley to the Turnpike and Monroeville was one of the casualties. In the mid-late 1960s, movement to construct the new highway began with targeting a two-mile stretch of highway from the Route 48 intersection at Lincoln Way in White Oak to US 30 in North Versailles.  The plan was then to continue the highway northwards to Monroeville.  Extension south across the Youghiogheny River and to PA 51 would