Skip to main content

Gribblenación México; Camino Real between Zacoalco de Torres and San Marcos


Camino Real is a 12.6-kilometer rural highway located in southern Jalisco.  Said corridor was the original highway which connected the communities of Zacoalco de Torres and San Marcos and forms a semi-circle of Laguna San Marcos.  Camino Real is comprised of a paved cobblestone segment near Zacoalco de Torres and a dirt portion east of Federal Highway 54D.  Numerous ranching properties and agave farms can be found along the dirt portion.  Functionally Camino Real has been replaced by modern Jalisco State Highway 402 in modern times. 




A drive on Camino Real between Zacoalco de Torres and San Marcos Evangelista

Zacoalco de Torres and San Marcos are both located on opposite on sides of Laguna San Marcos in southern Jalisco.  Camino Real is the original highway which connected the two towns.

The entomology of "Zacoalco" comes from the word "Tzacoalco" which is thought to have meant "place of confinement," "in the pyramind," or "place where eagles perch."  The area that is now Zacoalco de Torres was settled by the Aztecs in 1264.  The Aztecs settled upon Chiquihuitillo Hill which rests between Laguna de Zacoalco and Laguna de San Marcos.  In 1524 the Spanish arrived in the Aztec lands surrounding Laguna de Zacoalco.  Most Aztecs fled to the south towards Laguna de Sayula in response to Spanish Conquistador Francisco Cortes de San Buenaventura attempting to subdue them by force.  The Spanish invasion prompted the commissioning of the Town of Zacoalco.

In 1810 during the Mexican War of Independence the Town of Zacoalco was taken by revolutionary Jose Antonio Torres during the Battle of Zacoalco.  The Town of Zacoalco was renamed to Zacoalco de Torres in 1829 in memory of Jose Antonio Torres and the battle which took place there.  During Mexican rule Zacoalco de Torres mostly came to be known for the numerous homemade wood furniture (equipales) stores which are located in the town. 

What is now San Marcos was the site of a Toltec village which was called Chistic or Xistic.  The area was extensively visited by the Spanish after the founding of nearby Zacoalco.  A village was plotted at the site of San Marcos during June 1740.  Upon San Marcos being annexed into the then new state of Jalisco in 1823 the community was under the governance of Etzatlán Township.  San Marcos was legally designated a town during April 1907 and later a Municipality seat in 1915.  

Camino Real can be seen connecting Zacoalco de Torres to San Marcos on the 1922 Direccion de Estudios Geograficos y Climatologicos map.  The highway is shown circling the southern and eastern shores of Laguna San Marcos.  In modern times Jalisco State Highway 402 has functionally replaced Camino Real as the primary corridor into San Marcos.  Said State Highway originates at Jalisco State Highway 401 near Acatlán de Juárez and tracks east to San Marcos via San José de los Pozos.


From Zacoalco de Torres traffic can follow Pino Suárez north over the Ferromex railroad towards a terminus at Camino Real.  


Camino Real within Zacoalco de Torres is a paved with cobblestone.  The highway approaches Federal Highway 54D and dips underneath the Autopista via a dirt underpass.  










Camino Real becomes a grade dirt roadway east of Federal Highway 54D.  The corridor swings north towards San Marcos along the eastern shore of Laguna San Marcos.  


The portion of Camino Real east of Federal Highway 54D provides access to numerous agave farms and ranching plots which line the foothills of the nearby mountains.  













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former California State Route 180 in Centerville

Centerville is one of the oldest communities in what is now Fresno County having been founded as Scottsburg in 1854.  The Centerville community has historically been tied to the history of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road and the Squaw Valley Road.  The Squaw Valley Road would later be known as Dunlap Road and became a component of California State Route 180 in August 1934.  By the 1940s the corridor was renamed Kings Canyon Road in reference to Kings Canyon National Park.  For the majority of the life of California State Route 180 in Centerville, it has not strayed far from Kings Canyon Road.  This changed in 2020 when California State Route 180 was relocated onto the Kings Canyon Expressway.  This blog serves as an overview of the history of California State Route 180 and general evolution of highways in Centerville.  California State Route 180 can be seen passing through Centerville and Minkler below on the 1935 Division of Highways map of Fresno Count...

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The last 1956-63 era California Sign State Route Spade?

Along southbound California State Route 170 (the Hollywood Freeway Extension) approaching the Hollywood Freeway/Ventura Freeway interchange a white California State Route 134 Sign State Route Spade can be observed on guide sign.  These white spades were specifically used during the 1956-63 era and have become increasingly rare.  This blog is intended to serve as a brief history of the Sign State Route Spade.  We also ask you as the reader, is this last 1956-63 era Sign State Route Spade or do you know of others?  Part 1; the history of the California Sign State Route Spade Prior to the Sign State Route System, the US Route System and the Auto Trails were the only highways in California signed with reassurance markers.  The creation of the US Route System by the American Association of State Highway Officials during November 1926 brought a system of standardized reassurance shields to major highways in California.  Early efforts to create a Sign State Route ...