Skip to main content

Former Hawaii Routes 15 and 151 in the Pahala area


Hawaii Routes 15 and 151 were once located in the Pahala area of the Big Island.  Both corridors were established in 1955 when the Hawaii Route System was expanded from Oahu to the other islands.  Hawaii Route 15 appears to have been established to preserve the early alignment of Mamalahoa Highway via Maile Street.  Hawaii Route 151 seemingly was established to service the sugar plantation at the Wood Valley Temple.  Despite both highways being deleted from the State Highway System and all Federal Aid Programs in the late 1960s they still somehow remain signed into modern times.  

Hawaii Routes 15 and 151 can be seen converging on the 1967 United States Geological Survey map of Pahala. 


This page is part of the Gribblenation Hawaii Roads series.  A compellation of all Hawaii-related media from both Gribblenation and RoadwayWiz can be found by clicking here




Part 1; the history of Hawaii Routes 15 and 151

In 1955 the Hawaii Route System was expanded to the Big Island with Hawaii Routes 15 and 151 being established in the Pahala area.  Hawaii Route 15 was a 1.3-mile corridor which looped to/from Hawaii Route via Maile Street and Kamahi Street.  Hawaii Route 151 was a 6.2-mile corridor which followed Pikake Street and Wood Valley Road to the end of the pavement.  

During the early 1880s the Hawiian Agricultural Company founded the company town of Pahala.  Prior to the modernization of Mamalohoa Highway (now Hawaii Route 11) it once entered the community via Maile Street.  The designation of Hawaii Route 15 seems to be an attempt to preserve the utility to the Pahala community once carried by the early Mamalahoa Highway.  

Hawaii Route 151 served the Wood Valley Temple (Nechung Dorje Drayang Ling) north of Pahala.  Said temple was originally constructed in 1902 near Pahala and moved to the current location near the end of Wood Valley Road in 1925.  Following the closure of Kau Sugar company in the 1960s the temple was briefly abandoned.  In 1973 the temple was leased to group with lineage in Tibetan Buddhism. 

Hawaii Route 151 appears on the 1959 Gousha Highway map of Hawaii in the Pahala area.  The map notably does not display numerous shorter local Hawaii Routes that existed at the time like 15 and 21.  


Hawaii Routes 15 and 151 can be seen converging on the 1967 United States Geological Survey map of Pahala. 


The 1967 United States Geological Survey of Wood Valley displays Hawaii Route 151 ending at Wood Valley Camp. 


According to Oscar Voss's hawaiihighways.com both Hawaii Route 15 and Hawaii Route 151 lost their Federal Aid status during the late 1960s.  Hawaii Route 15 for a time was classified as Hawaii County Route 150 but even that designation did not survive the decade.  

Hawaii Routes 15 and 151 still appear on the 1980 United States Geological Survey map of Hawaii County.  It is unclear why both highways remained logged despite having been formally deleted from all Federal Aid programs.  


Both routes are not shown as being present on the 1981 United States Geological Survey map of Pahala.  


Both Hawaii Routes 15 and 151 were signed with 1955-era embossed shields in Pahala at the intersection of Maile Street and Pikake Street until recently.  The embossed shields are shown as being present in September 2011 Google Street view images.  



The 2012 Hawaii Department of Transportation document detailing changes to the Federal System pertaining to roadways does not note a Route 15 or Route 151 under state or Hawaii County jurisdiction. 


Hawaii Route 151 appears on the 2013 United States Geological Survey map of Pahala.


As of 2019 modern Hawaii Route 15 and 151 signage has appeared in Pahala at the intersection of Maile Street and Wood Valley Road.  It is unclear if the Hawaii Department of Transportation, Hawaii County or another unknown party erected this signage.  


Hawaii Route 15 signage does not appear from Hawaii Route 11.  This image is of Hawaii Route 11 at Kamahi Street in 2024.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former California State Route 180 in Centerville

Centerville is one of the oldest communities in what is now Fresno County having been founded as Scottsburg in 1854.  The Centerville community has historically been tied to the history of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road and the Squaw Valley Road.  The Squaw Valley Road would later be known as Dunlap Road and became a component of California State Route 180 in August 1934.  By the 1940s the corridor was renamed Kings Canyon Road in reference to Kings Canyon National Park.  For the majority of the life of California State Route 180 in Centerville, it has not strayed far from Kings Canyon Road.  This changed in 2020 when California State Route 180 was relocated onto the Kings Canyon Expressway.  This blog serves as an overview of the history of California State Route 180 and general evolution of highways in Centerville.  California State Route 180 can be seen passing through Centerville and Minkler below on the 1935 Division of Highways map of Fresno Count...

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The last 1956-63 era California Sign State Route Spade?

Along southbound California State Route 170 (the Hollywood Freeway Extension) approaching the Hollywood Freeway/Ventura Freeway interchange a white California State Route 134 Sign State Route Spade can be observed on guide sign.  These white spades were specifically used during the 1956-63 era and have become increasingly rare.  This blog is intended to serve as a brief history of the Sign State Route Spade.  We also ask you as the reader, is this last 1956-63 era Sign State Route Spade or do you know of others?  Part 1; the history of the California Sign State Route Spade Prior to the Sign State Route System, the US Route System and the Auto Trails were the only highways in California signed with reassurance markers.  The creation of the US Route System by the American Association of State Highway Officials during November 1926 brought a system of standardized reassurance shields to major highways in California.  Early efforts to create a Sign State Route ...