Skip to main content

Cement Plant Road (Calaveras County)


Cement Plant Road is a privately owned 5.5-mile corridor located in the Sierra Nevada foothills of Calaveras County.  The roadway was constructed as a short line railroad during the 1930s by Calaveras Cement from Pool Station Road to a cement quarry east of Calaveritas.  Despite being a private road, the corridor of Cement Plant Road crosses over numerous public highways via unique bridge structures.  Pictured as the blog cover is the Cement Plant Road trestle crossing over Calaveritas Road. 




The history of Cement Plant Road and corridor exploration

Cement Plant Road was built initially built as a short line railroad in the early 1930s by Calaveras Cement.  The line served as an extension of the Kentucky House Branch of the Southern Pacific Railroad which originated out of Lodi.  

Calaveras Cement incorporated in 1925 and was based out of a plant located on Pool Station Road.  The company is most well-known for supplying cement to the construction site of Pardee Dam.  The company would construct a 5.5-mile private road from their plant to quarries located east of Calaveritas. 

Calaveras Cement would be sold in 1959 and again in 1979.  The company would be shuttered in 1983 due to being unable to compete with foreign cement prices and a high cost to modernize their plant.  The Kentucky House Branch was deconstructed gradually during the 1990s and the former short line to the Calaveras Cement quarry was converted into a private road. 

Below the Cement Plant Road trestle can be seen crossing over Calaveritas Road at the town Calaveritas.  The community was founded by Mexican miners in 1849 and is thought to have peaked with a population of about 800 by 1857. Much of Calaveritas would burn in a fire during 1858 which would lead to it declining.

Pictured is the Calaveras Cement Bridge crossing over California State Route 49 near Calaveritas Creek.  This structure is a hybrid concrete and wooden trestle design which was built in 1935.  The bridge has a clearance of 19.7 feet which is embedded into the concrete facade.

The western terminus of Cement Plant Road can be found at Pool Station Road.  Signage facing east indicates the corridor as a private road but is open for a half mile to All Rocks Aggregate Materials.  



The ruins of the Calaveras Cement Plant can be found west of Pool Station Road. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former California State Route 180 in Centerville

Centerville is one of the oldest communities in what is now Fresno County having been founded as Scottsburg in 1854.  The Centerville community has historically been tied to the history of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road and the Squaw Valley Road.  The Squaw Valley Road would later be known as Dunlap Road and became a component of California State Route 180 in August 1934.  By the 1940s the corridor was renamed Kings Canyon Road in reference to Kings Canyon National Park.  For the majority of the life of California State Route 180 in Centerville, it has not strayed far from Kings Canyon Road.  This changed in 2020 when California State Route 180 was relocated onto the Kings Canyon Expressway.  This blog serves as an overview of the history of California State Route 180 and general evolution of highways in Centerville.  California State Route 180 can be seen passing through Centerville and Minkler below on the 1935 Division of Highways map of Fresno Count...

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The last 1956-63 era California Sign State Route Spade?

Along southbound California State Route 170 (the Hollywood Freeway Extension) approaching the Hollywood Freeway/Ventura Freeway interchange a white California State Route 134 Sign State Route Spade can be observed on guide sign.  These white spades were specifically used during the 1956-63 era and have become increasingly rare.  This blog is intended to serve as a brief history of the Sign State Route Spade.  We also ask you as the reader, is this last 1956-63 era Sign State Route Spade or do you know of others?  Part 1; the history of the California Sign State Route Spade Prior to the Sign State Route System, the US Route System and the Auto Trails were the only highways in California signed with reassurance markers.  The creation of the US Route System by the American Association of State Highway Officials during November 1926 brought a system of standardized reassurance shields to major highways in California.  Early efforts to create a Sign State Route ...