Skip to main content

Treasure Island Causeway (Pinellas County Route 150)

The Treasure Island Causeway is a crossing of Boca Ciega Bay located in Pinellas County, Florida.  The Treasure Island Causeway connects the city of Treasure Island to St. Petersburg as a component of Pinellas County Route 150.  The Treasure Island Causeway was original completed during 1939 as a tolled facility.  The three current bridges which comprise parts of the larger Treasure Island Causeway were constructed from 2003-2007.  

Part 1; the history of Treasure Island Causeway

The Treasure Island Causeway connects the cities of Treasure Island and St. Petersburg via the waters of Boca Ciega Bay.  The original Treasure Island Causeway opened during 1939 as a continuation of Central Avenue from St. Petersburg to 107th Avenue on Treasure Island.  The original Treasure Island Causeway can be seen on the 1943 United States Geological Survey Maps of Bay Pines and St. Petersburg.  The Treasure Island Causeway can be seen connecting pre-1945 Florida State Road 233 on Treasure Island to Central Avenue in St. Petersburg.  The original Treasure Island Causeway was a tolled structure but was not part of the State Road System.  

The original Treasure Island Causeway can be seen in a series of undated postcards.  

The three bridges comprising the Treasure Island Causeway were deemed to be structurally deficient following an engineering survey during 2002.  The western and eastern bridges of the Treasure Island Causeway were completed by October 2004.  The new central bridge along Treasure Island Causeway was dedicated during August 2007.  The center Treasure Island Causeway bridge is a bascule span measuring 1,014 feet in length.  Upon reopening the Treasure Island Causeway was no longer tolled. 

Part 2; a drive on the Treasure Island Causeway and Pinellas County Route 150

From Florida State Road 699 in Treasure Island the eastbound lanes of the Treasure Island Causeway are accessible from 107th Avenue.  Pinellas County Route 150 is approximately an 8.1-mile highway which is comprised of 107th Avenue, Treasure Island Causeway and Central Avenue to Florida State Road 687 in St. Petersburg.  

Pinellas County Route 150 eastbound transitions from 107th Avenue to the Treasure Island Causeway.  Pinellas County Route 150 crosses the westernmost Treasure Island Causeway bridge to Paradise Island.  Paradise Island is located in the city limits of Treasure Island.  

Pinellas County Route 150 eastbound crosses over Paradise Island and the center bascule span of the Treasure Island Causeway.  Pinellas County Route 150 enters the city of St. Petersburg along Central Avenue upon landing in the Causeway Islands.  The Treasure Island Causeway center bascule span has a vertical clearance of 18 feet above the waters of Boco Ciega Bay when closed.  

Pinellas County Route 150 eastbound crosses the eastern span of the Treasure Island Causeway and intersects Florida State Road 693 at Pasadena Avenue.  


Popular posts from this blog

Paper Highways: The Unbuilt New Orleans Bypass (Proposed I-410)

  There are many examples around the United States of proposed freeway corridors in urban areas that never saw the light of day for one reason or another. They all fall somewhere in between the little-known and the infamous and from the mundane to the spectacular. One of the more obscure and interesting examples of such a project is the short-lived idea to construct a southern beltway for the New Orleans metropolitan area in the 1960s and 70s. Greater New Orleans and its surrounding area grew rapidly in the years after World War II, as suburban sprawl encroached on the historically rural downriver parishes around the city. In response to the development of the region’s Westbank and the emergence of communities in St. Charles and St. John the Baptist Parishes as viable suburban communities during this period, regional planners began to consider concepts for new infrastructure projects to serve this growing population.  The idea for a circular freeway around the southern perimeter of t

Hernando de Soto Bridge (Memphis, TN)

The newest of the bridges that span the lower Mississippi River at Memphis, the Hernando de Soto Bridge was completed in 1973 and carries Interstate 40 between downtown Memphis and West Memphis, AR. The bridge’s signature M-shaped superstructure makes it an instantly recognizable landmark in the city and one of the most visually unique bridges on the Mississippi River. As early as 1953, Memphis city planners recommended the construction of a second highway bridge across the Mississippi River to connect the city with West Memphis, AR. The Memphis & Arkansas Bridge had been completed only four years earlier a couple miles downriver from downtown, however it was expected that long-term growth in the metro area would warrant the construction of an additional bridge, the fourth crossing of the Mississippi River to be built at Memphis, in the not-too-distant future. Unlike the previous three Mississippi River bridges to be built the city, the location chosen for this bridge was about two

Memphis & Arkansas Bridge (Memphis, TN)

  Like the expansion of the railroads the previous century, the modernization of the country’s highway infrastructure in the early and mid 20th Century required the construction of new landmark bridges along the lower Mississippi River (and nation-wide for that matter) that would facilitate the expected growth in overall traffic demand in ensuing decades. While this new movement had been anticipated to some extent in the Memphis area with the design of the Harahan Bridge, neither it nor its neighbor the older Frisco Bridge were capable of accommodating the sharp rise in the popularity and demand of the automobile as a mode of cross-river transportation during the Great Depression. As was the case 30 years prior, the solution in the 1940s was to construct a new bridge in the same general location as its predecessors, only this time the bridge would be the first built exclusively for vehicle traffic. This bridge, the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge, was completed in 1949 and was the third