Skip to main content

Pasco County Route 524

Pasco County Route 524 as presently configured is signed along Ridge Road from US Route 19 east to the Suncoast Parkway (Florida State Road 589).  Pasco County Route 524 was recently extended from Pasco County Route 1 (Little Road) to the Suncoast Parkway upon the recent opening of Phase 1 of the Ridge Road extension.  Pasco County Route 524 is planned to be extended east of the Suncoast Parkway to US Route 41 upon the completion of Phase 2 of the Ridge Road extension during 2025. 

Part 1; the history of Pasco County Route 524

Modern Ridge Road from Little Road east to Moon Lake Road was a component of post-1945 Florida State Road 587 which can be seen on the 1958 United States Geological Survey Map of Plant City.  Florida State Road 587 is shown to have originated at Florida State Road 595/Congress Street in New Port Richey.  Florida State Road 587 from New Port Richey is shown following Massachusetts Avenue, Little Road, Ridge Road and Moon Lake Road to Florida State Road 52.  

Following Florida State Road 587 being relinquished as a State Road the mainline of Pasco County Route 587 was realigned east of Massachusetts Avenue to Moon Lake Road via De Cubellis Road.  The original routing of Florida State Road 587 via Little Road and Ridge Road was reassigned as Pasco County Route 587 Truck.  Ridge Road from Little Road (now Pasco County Route 1) west to US Route 19 in Port Richey appears to have been first signed in the early 2000s. reported Phase 1 the Ridge Road extension had opened on January 2, 2023.  The Ridge Road extension is noted to have been planned by the Pasco County Economic Development Council during the early 1990s.  Phase 1 of the Ridge Road extension extended it from Moon Lake Road 4.2 miles east to the Suncoast Parkway (Florida State Route 589) as part of Pasco County Route 524.  Phase 2 of the Ridge Road extension is noted to be planned to connect the highway from the Suncoast Parkway approximately 4 miles east to US Route 41 by 2025.  

Phase 1 of the Ridge Road extension can be viewed on the Pasco County Government YouTube page.  

Part 2; a drive on Pasco County Route 524

Pasco County Route 524 and Ridge Road can be accessed from Florida State Road 589/Suncoast Parkway Exit 25.  Traffic is only given a westbound control city destination of New Port Richey whereas there is no eastbound control city.  

Below the current eastern end of Pasco County Route 524 can be seen approaching Angeline School Road.

Westbound Pasco County Route 524 spans from Florida State Road 589 west to Moon Lake Road/Pasco County Route 587.  Pasco County Route 524 at Moon Lake Road begins a multiplex of Pasco County Route 587 Truck. 

Pasco County Route 524/Pasco County Route 587 Truck westbound multiplex along Ridge Road to Pasco County Route 1/Little Road.  Pasco County Route 524 continues west of Little Road to US Route 19 via Ridge Road in Port Richey.  Pasco County Route 587 Truck turns south on Pasco County Route 1 towards mainline Pasco County Route 587 at Massachusetts Avenue.  


Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th