Skip to main content

California State Route 188


California State Route 188 is an approximately 2-mile State Highway located in San Diego County.  California State Route 188 follows Tecate Road from California State Route 94 south to the Tecate Port of Entry.  The current California State Route 188 was added to the State Highway System during 1972.  



The history of California State Route 188

The history of modern California State Route 188 is tied to that of the San Diego County community of Tecate.  The Californian Tecate lies directly north of the Mexican counterpart of the same name in Baja California.  The Baja California iteration of Tecate was founded during April 1888 and incorporated during October 1892.  It is unclear when the Californian Tecate was founded but it appears to have not been long after the formation of Baja California iteration. 

A road from Potrero to the Californian Tecate can be seen on the 1917 California State Automobile Association Map.  There is no connecting road shown crossing the Mexican border.  The road from Potrero to Tecate appears to follow modern day Emery Lane and Emery Road.  

The Tecate Port of Entry was established around 1919.  The Tecate Port of Entry facilitated traffic to enter the United States where it followed Thing Road towards the Californian Tecate.  The Tecate Port of Entry can be seen in a 1919 era public domain photo.  


The two Tecates are shown connected via a Port of Entry on the 1925 California State Automobile Association Map.  


The current Tecate Port of Entry border station was constructed during 1933.  The Tecate Port of Entry is shown connected to California State Route 94 via Thing Road and Emery Road on the 1935 Division of Highways Map.  


The November 15, 1938, San Diego Tribune reported San Diego County granted a hearing to protest construction of a new road to the Tecate Port of Entry.  The new road to the Tecate Port of Entry was objected by the local population who wanted the original alignment to remain.  

Modern Tecate Road can be seen connecting California State Route 94 to Tecate Port of Entry on the 1942 United States Geological Survey Map.  Tecate Road bypassed the community of Tecate to the west and provided a more direct route from California State Route 94 to the Tecate Port of Entry.  


As part of the 1964 State Highway Renumbering all the Legislative Routes lacking a Sign State Route were assigned one.  Subsequently what was Legislative Route Number 94 near Lake Tahoe was renumbered to California State Route 188.  California State Route 188 on Fallen Leaf Lake Road first appears on the 1964 Division of Highways Map.


1965 Legislative Chapter 1372 deleted California State Route 188 and removed Fallen Leaf Lake Road from the State Highway System.  The deletion of California State Route 188 is announced in the September/October 1965 California Highways & Public Works.  California State Route 188 was described a 4.7-mile State Highway which was unimproved single lane highway which was lightly traveled.  

The current iteration of California State Route 188 was added to the State Highway System via 1972 Legislative Chapter 1216.  The second California State Route 188 brought Tecate Road into the State Highway System.  The definition of the second California State Route 188 was "From the international border near Tecate to Route 94."  The second California State Route 188 appears for the first time on the 1975 Caltrans Map.  

The March 12, 2005, San Diego Tribune reported on the completed expansion of the Tecate Port of Entry.  The expanded Tecate Port of Entry increased the capacity of the facility fivefold as pedestrian traffic was moved to the 1933 entry station.  The expanded Tecate Port of Entry included two new lanes for cars and two new lanes for trucks.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Horace Wilkinson Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

Standing tall across from downtown Baton Rouge, the Horace Wilkinson Bridge carries Interstate 10 across the lower Mississippi River between West Baton Rouge and East Baton Rouge Parishes. Unusually, the bridge is actually named for three separate people; three generations of Horace Wilkinsons who served in the Louisiana State Legislature over a combined period of 54 years. Constructed in the 1960s and opened to traffic in 1968, this is one of the largest steel bridges on the lower Mississippi. It’s also the tallest bridge across the Mississippi, with its roadway reaching 175 ft at the center span. Baton Rouge is the northernmost city on the river where deep-water, ocean-going vessels can operate. As a result, this bridge is the northernmost bridge on the river of truly gigantic proportions. Altogether, the bridge is nearly 2 ½ miles long and its massive truss superstructure is 4,550 ft long with a center main truss span of 1,235 ft. The Horace Wilkinson Bridge is one of the largest

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh