Skip to main content

The unsigned Hawaii Routes of Oahu

Circa 1955 following the conclusion of World War II the United States Bureau of Public Roads renumbered the Hawaii Route System.  The 1955 Hawaii Route Renumbering saw most of the conventions utilized by the current Hawaii State Route System established.  Primary Hawaii Routes were given two-digit numbers whereas Secondary Hawaii Routes were given three-digit numbers.  The Hawaii Routes were assigned in sequence for what Island/County they were located on coupled with what Federal Aid Program number they were tied to.  In the case of Oahu the Island was assigned numbers in the range of 60-99.

The purpose of this blog is to examine each unsigned current Hawaii Route on Oahu.  Featured as the blog cover is the Middle Street overpass from eastbound Interstate H-1 which is part of unsigned Hawaii Route 7415.  Note: the unsigned Hawaii Routes on this page are sourced from the list provided on hawaiihighways.com

This page is part of the Gribblenation Oahu Highways page.  All Gribblenation and Roadwaywiz media related to the highway system of Oahu can be found at the link below:

https://www.gribblenation.org/p/gribblenation-oahu-highways-page.html

 

Hawaii Route 901

Hawaii Route 901 consists of 1.4-miles of Fort Barette Road between Interstate H-1 Exit 2 south to unsigned Hawaii Route 8945 at Enterprise Avenue.  Hawaii Route 901 according to hawaiihighways.com was sourced from Federal Aid Primary 1901 during the late 1960s.


Hawaii Route 901 can be seen on the 1968 USGS Map of the Barbers Point area.  Hawaii Route 901 can be seen providing direct access to the Puu Kapolei Naval Reservation. 


Hawaii Route 7141

Hawaii Route 7141 consists of 1.5 miles of Iroquois Road from Hawaii Route 76/Fort Weaver Road east to the gate of Lualualei Naval Ammunition Depot West Loch Branch.  Hawaii Route 7141 used to be Hawaii Route 764 and still appears as such on Google Maps.  


Hawaii Route 764/Iroquois Road appears on the 1968 USGS Map of Honouliuli. 


Hawaii Route 7239

Hawaii Route 7239 consists of 0.1 miles of the Ulene Street from unsigned Hawaii Route 7241/Kahuapaani Street to Halawa Heights Road.  It is not clear why such a short segment of road is part of the Hawaii State Highway network.  


Hawaii Route 7241

Hawaii Route 7241 consists of 1 mile of Kahuapaani Street and 1.3 miles of Halawa Heights Road from former Hawaii Route 67/Hawaii Route 670/Salt Lake Boulevard north to Marine Corps Camp Smith. 


The 1968 USGS Map of Halawa indicates what is now Hawaii Route 7241 on Halawa Heights Road was once Hawaii Route 710.  


Hawaii Route 7345

Hawaii Route 7345 consists of 0.6 miles of Jarrette White Road from Interstate H-201/Hawaii Route 7310 north to Tripler Medical Center.  Signage from Hawaii Route 7310/Puuloa Road northbound implies Jarrette White Road is part of Hawaii Route 7310 to Tripler Medical Hospital.  Jarrette White Road may have been once part of former Hawaii Route 66. 


Hawaii Route 7350

Hawaii Route 7350 consists of 0.6 miles of Bougainville Drive from Radford Drive north to former Hawaii Route 67/Hawaii Route 670/Soda Lake Boulevard.  The purpose of Hawaii Route 7350 is unclear, but it does access numerous retail facilities.  


Hawaii Route 7351

Hawaii Route 7351 consists of 0.2 miles of Radford Drive east of Bougainville Drive/Hawaii Route 7350.  The purpose of Hawaii Route 7351 appears unclear, but it does access numerous military Post Exchange facilities.  


Hawaii Route 7401

Hawaii Route 7401 consists of 0.1 miles of Kamehameha Highway from Interstate H-1 Exit 18B and Hawaii Route 92 to Hawaii Route 7415/Middle Street.  This segment of Kamehameha Highway was once part of Hawaii Route 90 which was bisected by the construction of Interstate H-1.  


From Hawaii Route 92/Nimitz Highway eastbound traffic can access Hawaii Route 7401/Kamehameha Highway by following the signage to Dillingham Boulevard.  


Hawaii Route 7413

Hawaii Route 7413 consists of 0.4 miles of Liliha Street in downtown Honolulu between former Hawaii Route 90 at Dillingham Boulevard north to Interstate H-1.  For a brief time Liliha Street from Dillingham Boulevard to Hawaii Route 98/Vineyard Boulevard was the eastern terminus of Hawaii Route 90.  


The entirety of Hawaii Route 7413 appears as Hawaii Route 97 on a 1968 Hawaii Department of Transportation Document titled Proposed Interstate H-4.  


Hawaii Route 7415

Hawaii Route 7415 consists of 0.5 miles of Middle Street from former Hawaii Route 90 (Hawaii Route 7401) at Kamehameha Highway north to King Street.  This segment of Middle Street acted as a connector between the disconnected Queen Liliuokalani Freeway and Lunalilo Freeway segments of Interstate H-1 until a direct connection was made in 1986.  The interim connector on Middle Street between the Queen Liliuokalani Freeway and Lunalilo Freeway can be seen on the 1983 USGS Map of Honolulu.


Hawaii Route 7415/Middle Street can be viewed from eastbound Interstate H-1 as it is transitioning from the Queen Liliuokalani Freeway to the Lunalilo Freeway.  Notably the Middle Street Interchange of Interstate H-1/Interstate H-201 is the only segment of the latter which is below Interstate standards.  



Hawaii Route 7601

Hawaii Route 7601 consists of 0.1 miles of Old Waialae Road from Interstate H-1 Exit 25A to King Street.  Hawaii Route 7601 can only be accessed traveling westbound to King Street.


Hawaii Route 7601/Old Waialae Road was part of Hawaii Route 72 before the Lunalilo Freeway Corridor of Interstate H-1 in Honolulu was complete.  Hawaii Route 72 can be seen using Old Waialae Road to access the Lunalilo Freeway on the 1959 Gousha Highway Map of Hawaii.  


Hawaii Routes 8940, 8945 and 8955

Hawaii Routes 8940, 8945 and 8955 were all designated in the 2000s in the redeveloped areas of former Naval Air Station Barbers Point.  Hawaii Route 8940 consists of 3.4 miles of Franklin D. Roosevelt Avenue from Geiger Road west to Kamokila Boulevard.


Hawaii Route 8945 consists of 1 mile of Enterprise Avenue south from Hawaii Route 8940/Franklin D. Roosevelt Avenue to Midway Street.


Hawaii Route 8955 consists of 2.7 miles of Coral Sea Road from Hawaii Route 8940/Franklin D. Roosevelt Avenue south to Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point.  


`

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car