Skip to main content

Hawaii Route 7012

Hawaii Route 7012 is a 1.9-mile State Highway located on the Island of O'ahu.  Hawaii Route 7012 begins at Hawaii Route 80/Kamehameha Highway and follows Whitmore Avenue east to the Wahiawa Naval Reservation.  Hawaii Route 7012 was once assigned as Hawaii Route 804 and still appears as such on some maps.  

This page is part of the Gribblenation O'ahu Highways page.  All Gribblenation and Roadwaywiz media related to the highway system of O'ahu can be found at the link below:

https://www.gribblenation.org/p/gribblenation-oahu-highways-page.html


Part 1; the history of Hawaii Route 7012

Prior to the Statehood the first signed highways within Hawaii Territory came into existence during World War II.   During World War II the territory of Hawaii saw an influx of military activity following the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.  Numerous Military Routes and early Hawaii Routes were signed through the Hawaiian Territory to aid military personnel in navigating the islands.  Military Highways were assigned US Route style shields whereas lesser highways were assigned an early variation of what is now the Hawaii Route Spade.  

A 1946 Army Map of the Island of O'ahu shows the future corridor of Hawaii Route 7012 is shown to partially be on the alignment of Hawaii Route 124.  Hawaii Route 124 is shown diverging from Whitmore Avenue onto what is now Saipan Drive.  A full version of the 1946 Army Map of O'ahu can be seen on hawaiihighways.com here


Circa 1955 following the conclusion of World War II the United States Bureau of Public Roads renumbered the Hawaii Route System.  The 1955 Hawaii Route Renumbering saw most of the conventions utilized by the current Hawaii State Route System established.  Primary Hawaii Routes were given two-digit numbers whereas Secondary Hawaii Routes were given three-digit numbers.  The Hawaii Routes were assigned in sequence for what Island/County they were located on coupled with what Federal Aid Program number they were tied to.  In the case of Whitmore Avenue it was not assigned one of the initial post-1955 Hawaii Route numbers.  Whitmore Avenue can be seen on the 1959 Gousha Highway Map of Hawaii branching east from Hawaii Route 80/Kamehameha Highway near Wahiawa. 


The post-1955 designation history of Whitmore Avenue isn't fully clear, but it can be seen as Hawaii Route 804 on the 1983 USGS Map of Wahiawa.  



For unknown reasons Whitmore Avenue appears as both Hawaii Route 804 and Hawaii Route 7012 on the 2017 USGS Map of Wahiawa. 



Part 2; a drive on Hawaii Route 7012

North of the Karsten Thot Bridge Hawaii Route 80/Kamehameha Highway intersects Hawaii Route 7012 at Whitmore Avenue.  No route number is seen on Hawaii Route 80 northbound at Whitmore Avenue. 

At Whitmore Avenue southbound Hawaii Route 80 intersects Hawaii Route 7012.  From southbound Hawaii Route 80 southbound a single Hawaii Route 7012 shield can be found. 

During June 2019 Dan Murphy of the Roadwaywiz YouTube Channel (and Gribblenation) featured real-time drives on Hawaii Route 7012.  Below eastbound Hawaii Route 7012 on Whitmore Avenue can be observed. 

Below westbound Hawaii Route 7012 on Whitmore Avenue can be observed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, the color of your nearby fire hydrant matters...

...and here's why. You will find White, Red, Yellow and Violet colored fire hydrants pretty much everywhere.  But there's a reason for this - and it's because of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).  This association has issued guidelines for color coding standards for fire hydrants.  These color codes from the body of the hydrant, top of the hydrant, and in some municipalities the outlet caps are designed to allow fire fighters to know what type of system, water flow rate (Gallons Per Minute or GPM), and level of water pressure.  This guideline is known as NFPA 291 and is intended to be used universally throughout the United States. The NFPA guidelines are specific to the body and the top cap of the hydrant.  If a hydrant is WHITE or YELLOW - it means that it is connected to a public/municipal water system.  If a hydrant is RED - the hydrant is connected to a private system, typically a well.  These are most common in rural or unincorporated areas

Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway (in the making since 1947)

On September 15, 2022, the Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway opened in the city of Modesto from California State Route 99 west to North Dakota Avenue.  Phase 1 of the California State Route 132 West Expressway was built upon a corridor which was tentatively to designated to become the branching point for Interstate 5W in the 1947 concept of the Interstate Highway System.  The present California State Route 132 West Expressway corridor was adopted by the California Highway Commission on June 20, 1956.  Despite almost being rescinded during the 1970s the concept of the California State Route 132 West Expressway corridor lingered on for over half a century and became likely the oldest undeveloped right-of-way owned by California Transportation Commission.  Pictured above is the planned California State Route 132 freeway west of US Route 99 in Modesto as featured in the May/June 1962 California Highways & Public Works.   The history of the California State Route

Aptos Creek Road to the Loma Prieta ghost town site

Aptos Creek Road is a roadway in Santa Cruz County, California which connects the community of Aptos north to The Forest of Nisene Marks State Parks.  Aptos Creek Road north of Aptos is largely unpaved and is where the town site of Loma Prieta can be located.  Loma Prieta was a sawmill community which operated from 1883-1923 and reached a peak population of approximately three hundred.  Loma Prieta included a railroad which is now occupied by Aptos Creek Road along with a spur to Bridge Creek which now the Loma Prieta Grade Trail.  The site of the Loma Prieta Mill and company town burned in 1942.   Part 1; the history of Aptos Creek Road and the Loma Prieta town site Modern Aptos traces its origin to Mexican Rancho Aptos.  Rancho Aptos was granted by the Mexican Government in 1833 Rafael Castro.  Rancho Aptos took its name from Aptos Creek which coursed through from the Santa Cruz Mountains to Monterey Bay.  Castro initially used Rancho Aptos to raise cattle for their hides.  Following