Skip to main content

Merritt Parkway Tollbooth at Boothe Memorial Park in Stratford, Connecticut

Among the eclectic mix of buildings and other structures at Boothe Memorial Park in Stratford, Connecticut is the last remaining tollbooth from when the Merritt Parkway was tolled between the years 1940 and 1988. It is said that the tollbooth at Boothe Memorial Park is from across the Housatonic River in nearby Milford, Connecticut, and then when tolls were discontinued on the Merritt Parkway, the tollbooth was brought to Stratford to live its retirement among the clock tower, the supposed oldest homestead in America and other unique things that have been found its way onto the 32 acres of property once owned by brothers David Beach Boothe and Stephen Nichols Boothe. This is just a stone's throw away from the Merritt Parkway, so the tollbooth did not venture that far.

As for the tollbooth itself, it is the last remnant of the era of the Merritt Parkway when tolls were collected. There were tollbooths located in Greenwich, Milford and Wallingford, although Wallingford is on the Wilbur Cross Parkway, which the Merritt Parkway becomes east of Milford. They were designed by George Dunkelberger, who also designed the bridges of the Merritt Parkway. The tollbooths have a rustic feel to them, since after all, a parkway was originally meant to convey a park-like experience. It is certainly nice that this little piece of Connecticut history has been preserved for all to enjoy.







How to Get There:


Sources and Links:
Boothe Memorial Park and Museum - CTMQ
Stratford's Best Kept Secret - New Haven Register
Boothe Memorial Park, Stratford - Damned Connecticut

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

The Putah Creek Bridge of Monticello (former California State Route 28)

The Putah Creek Bridge was a masonry structure constructed during 1896 by Napa County to serve the community of Monticello.  The Putah Creek Bridge would be annexed into the State Highway System in 1933 when Legislative Route Number 6 was extended from Woodland Junction to Napa.  The Putah Creek Bridge was a component of the original California State Route 28 from 1934-1952.  The span briefly became part of California State Route 128 in 1953 until the highway was relocated as part of the Monticello Dam project in 1955.  Today the Putah Creek Bridge sits at the bottom of the Lake Berryessa reservoir and is accessible to divers.  Pictured as the blog cover is the Putah Creek Bridge as it was featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.   California State Route 28 can be seen crossing the Putah Creek Bridge near Monticello on the 1943 United States Geological Survey map of Copay.   The history of the Putah Creek Bridge The site of Monticello lies under the waters