Skip to main content

California State Route 371

This past October I drove the entirety of California State Route 371 from CA 79 northeast to CA 74.


CA 371 is a 21 mile east/west State Highway which serves as a connector between CA 79 and CA 74.  CA 371 is entirely located within Riverside County.



Part 1; the history of California State Route 371

The current alignment that is now CA 371 was added to the State Highway System in 1959 as Legislative Route 277 according to CAhighways.  The planned alignment of LRN 277 first appears on the 1960 Division of Highways State Map.  Cahuilla Road and Kenworthy-Bautista Road are shown to be more or less the existing through route.


It appears that instead of building a new alignment for LRN 277 the Division of Highways opted to assume maintenance of Cahuilla Road and Kenworthy-Bautista Road.  LRN 277 can be seen aligned over Cahuilla Road and Kenworthy-Bautista Road on the 1962 Division of Highways State Map.


During the 1964 State Highway Renumbering LRN 277 was reassigned as an eastern extension of CA 71.  The new assignment of CA 71 over what was LRN 277 can be seen on the 1964 Division of Highways Map.


According to CAhighways CA 71 was truncated in 1974 to I-15 near Murrieta.  This truncation led to CA 71 between CA 79 and CA 74 being reassigned as CA 371.  CA 371 can be seen for the first time on the 1975 Caltrans State Highway Map.   CA 371 as an assigned number was a simple adding of a "3" to the previous CA 71 designation. 



Part 2; a drive on California State Route 371

My approach to CA 371 eastbound was from CA 79 southbound.  CA 371 is signed as a cut-off road to Indio.







Interestingly Post Mileage on CA 371 begins at RIV 56.469 which is a trace vestige of the previous CA 71 designation.  CA 371 eastbound is immediately signed as a Daylight Headline Safety Corridor for the next 18 miles.  Truck traffic on CA 371 is advised against 30 foot or longer loads.  Traffic is further advised that CA 371 is susceptible to chain restrictions.





Anza is signed as 14 miles away on CA 371 east.  Palm Desert is signed as 43 miles away and Indio is signed at 53 miles.


CA 371 eastbound traverses the semi-arid terrain of the Santa Rosa Mountain foothills and enters the Cahuila Indian Reservation at Post Mile RIV 67.145.



















CA 371 east passes through the Cahuila Reservation and enters the community of Anza.






Anza lies at an elevation of 3,921 feet above sea level in Anza Valley.  The community of Anza is named after Spanish explorer Juan Bautista de Anza which explored Anza Valley in 1774 and 1775.  CA 371 passes through Anza on Cahuilla Road where it transitions onto Kenworthy-Bautista Road.












CA 371 east of Anza begins to ascend into the Santa Rosa Mountains, traffic is advised the Safety Corridor ceases.





CA 371 east enters San Bernardino National Forest at Post Mile RIV 75.264.  CA 371 ascends through the Santa Rosa Mountains to an east terminus  at CA 74/Pines-to-Palms Highway at Post Mile RIV 77.143.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car