Skip to main content

Old Shawneetown, Illinois

A river town always has its risks. A series of floods, or one bad flood, can devastate an entire community.

Main Street - Old Shawneetown. Hogdaddy's Saloon - an attraction for local motorcyclists that is now closed.

Old Shawneetown, Illinois is located on the north shore of the Ohio River in Southern Illinois and is the oldest town in the state.  Shawneetown dates to the original Northwest Territory; it was surveyed, platted, and chartered by the United States Government. The settlement served as a key government administrative outpost for the Northwest Territory.

Shawneetown's location on the Ohio River made it an important commerce center in the early 19th century. Shawneetown was where Illinois's first bank chartered in 1816.  The river helped Shawneetown grow to over 1800 residents by the early 20th century. But that same river would unfortunately lead to its demise.

Damage to Shawneetown after the Great Flood of 1937. Of the 400 buildings that were in the town limits, only 20 were still habitable after the floodwaters receded. (Russell Lee - Library of Congress)

Three major floods between 1884 and 1913 impacted the town. But it was the Great Flood of 1937 that would ultimately change Shawneetown.  The floodwaters submerged nearly the entire community under 15 feet of water - residents who escaped the flooding would find their homes and businesses destroyed.

Shawneetown flood refugees lived in a nearby tent city. Many of these residents would relocate to the new Shawneetown - located four miles west - in the upcoming years. (Russell Lee - Library of Congress)

The damage initiated a relocation of most of the town. Four miles inland and west on Highway 13, a new Shawneetown was created.  With state and federal government funding, the new town was laid out. The Gallatin County Courthouse moved to the new Shawneetown, along with most of the community's residents and businesses.  By 1950, over three-quarters of Shawneetown had moved west.  The old town became 'Old Shawneetown.'

An old Texaco filling station in Old Shawneetown.

Since 1950, Old Shawneetown's population has continued to decline - only 113 residents as of the 2020 Census.  Slowly but surely, most of the town's homes were abandoned and eventually destroyed.  The town's once-bustling Main Street sits empty, with a few buildings remaining.  In 1955, the Shawneetown Bridge carrying Illinois Route 13 into Kentucky eliminated the former Ohio River ferry that had a landing in Old Shawneetown.  The absence of regular traffic served as another blow to the town.

The 1841 Bank of Illinois building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is an Illinois State Historic Site. It is an impressive landmark,

The former Bank of Illinois building is one of the few original Old Shawneetown structures standing. Finished in 1841, the magnificent five-column Greek Revival brick and limestone landmark is now a state historic site. The bank building housed several different banks until ending functional operation after the Great Flood.

Main Street - Old Shawneetown.  There once were numerous storefronts in the empty space between the two buildings.

Visiting Old Shawneetown today is quiet but not eerie.  As you stand on an empty main street, it is easy to imagine a bustling river community - the wide avenue filled with shops, cars, and pedestrians going about their day.  What remains of Old Shawneetown is a glimpse into the past - and our imagination fills in the rest.

All photos taken by post author - February 19, 2024 - unless otherwise noted.

Sources & Links:
How To Get There:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Highways: The Unbuilt New Orleans Bypass (Proposed I-410)

  There are many examples around the United States of proposed freeway corridors in urban areas that never saw the light of day for one reason or another. They all fall somewhere in between the little-known and the infamous and from the mundane to the spectacular. One of the more obscure and interesting examples of such a project is the short-lived idea to construct a southern beltway for the New Orleans metropolitan area in the 1960s and 70s. Greater New Orleans and its surrounding area grew rapidly in the years after World War II, as suburban sprawl encroached on the historically rural downriver parishes around the city. In response to the development of the region’s Westbank and the emergence of communities in St. Charles and St. John the Baptist Parishes as viable suburban communities during this period, regional planners began to consider concepts for new infrastructure projects to serve this growing population.  The idea for a circular freeway around the southern perimeter of t

Hernando de Soto Bridge (Memphis, TN)

The newest of the bridges that span the lower Mississippi River at Memphis, the Hernando de Soto Bridge was completed in 1973 and carries Interstate 40 between downtown Memphis and West Memphis, AR. The bridge’s signature M-shaped superstructure makes it an instantly recognizable landmark in the city and one of the most visually unique bridges on the Mississippi River. As early as 1953, Memphis city planners recommended the construction of a second highway bridge across the Mississippi River to connect the city with West Memphis, AR. The Memphis & Arkansas Bridge had been completed only four years earlier a couple miles downriver from downtown, however it was expected that long-term growth in the metro area would warrant the construction of an additional bridge, the fourth crossing of the Mississippi River to be built at Memphis, in the not-too-distant future. Unlike the previous three Mississippi River bridges to be built the city, the location chosen for this bridge was about two

Memphis & Arkansas Bridge (Memphis, TN)

  Like the expansion of the railroads the previous century, the modernization of the country’s highway infrastructure in the early and mid 20th Century required the construction of new landmark bridges along the lower Mississippi River (and nation-wide for that matter) that would facilitate the expected growth in overall traffic demand in ensuing decades. While this new movement had been anticipated to some extent in the Memphis area with the design of the Harahan Bridge, neither it nor its neighbor the older Frisco Bridge were capable of accommodating the sharp rise in the popularity and demand of the automobile as a mode of cross-river transportation during the Great Depression. As was the case 30 years prior, the solution in the 1940s was to construct a new bridge in the same general location as its predecessors, only this time the bridge would be the first built exclusively for vehicle traffic. This bridge, the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge, was completed in 1949 and was the third