Skip to main content

Unbuilt California State Route 256

 

California State Route 256 was a never constructed western bypass of downtown Roseville of Placer County.  California State Route 256 was created via 1965 Legislative Chapter 1372 and appears to have been a conceptual replacement for what was US Route 99E.  The adopted routing of California State Route 256 was dropped in 1976 and it was deleted by the State Legislature during 1994.  


The history of California State Route 256

As noted in the intro, 1965 Legislative Chapter 1372 added California State Route 256 (CA 256) to the State Highway System as a western freeway bypass of Roseville between Interstate 80 and CA 65/former US Route 99E.  The planned route of CA 256 appears for the first time on the 1966 Division of Highways Map.  CA 256 never appears in any volume of the California Highways & Public Works, and it isn't clear when it was assigned an adopted routing.  Notably 1966 is the last Division of Highways Map which any segment of US 99 appears in California.  



The planned western freeway bypass route of CA 256 around downtown Roseville was cancelled during 1976.  Although CA 256 does not appear on the 1977 Caltrans Map it wasn't deleted until 1994 Legislative Chapter 1220. 

The September 1984 Final Environmental Impact Report for eastern CA 65 Roseville Bypass notes that construction of CA 256 would have been too costly largely due to having to cross the Southern Pacific Railroad Switch Yard.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh