Skip to main content

Bayswater Covered Bridge - New Brunswick


The Bayswater Covered Bridge was built in 1920 across the Milkish Inlet of the Saint John and Kennebecasis Rivers on New Brunswick's Kingston Peninsula. Also known as the Milkish Inlet #1 Bridge, the Bayswater Covered Bridge is 218 feet (67 meters) long and was built using a Howe truss design in its construction. This was not the only covered bridge to once cross over the Milkish Inlet, as another covered bridge once existed upstream, only to be replaced by a causeway. But as a testament of being in an area with many covered bridges, the Bayswater Covered Bridge remains.

The covered bridge was restored in 2021 and now carries loads of up to 30 tons as a result of the construction work. Since the Bayswater Covered Bridge is a vital transportation link along the Kingston Peninsula and on a provincial highway, NB 845, a million dollar restoration project was needed in order for emergency vehicles and other vehicles to safely cross the bridge. This became especially crucial after flooding on the Saint John River made the detour routes impassable. The restoration work was done mainly on the bottom of the bridge, so it may not be something you see at first glance. This means that the Bayswater Covered Bridge retains much of its original material on the sides of the covered bridge along with the roof.

I found the Bayswater Covered Bridge to be really nice, and as a bonus, the Bayswater Lighthouse is just around the corner from the bridge. It was a nice stop as I started to wrap up a day touring some of New Brunswick's many covered bridges and waterfalls.

The covered bridge has a clearance of 4.4 meters and a rounded portal.

Follow NB 845 across the Bayswater Covered Bridge and the Milkish Inlet. As you can see, there's a headache bar next to the bridge to prevent overheight vehicles from striking the bridge.

The Bayswater Lighthouse is just down the road from the covered bridge alongside NB 845. You can't miss it. The lighthouse was built in 1913 by B.R. Palmer at the cost of $825. While the covered bridge was deactivated in 2005, it is protected under the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act.

How to Get There:

Sources and Links:
Round Barns & Covered Bridges - New Brunswick Covered Bridge List
Kingston Peninsula Heritage - Bayswater Covered Bridge
CBC - Century-old covered bridge will stand at least 50 more years after restoration work
Tourism New Brunswick - Covered Bridges: New Brunswick's Iconic Link From Past to Present


Popular posts from this blog

Bridgeport Covered Bridge

The Bridgeport Covered Bridge is a historic crossing of the South Fork Yuba River located in Nevada County, California near Nevada City.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge opened as a tolled crossing during 1862 as part of the larger Henness Pass Road.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge closed to vehicle traffic during 1972 and was recently restored during 2021.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge is historically California's longest covered span is thought to likely be the longest such structure surviving in the world.  Featured as the blog cover is the Bridgeport Covered Bridge during 1950 when it was an active part of Pleasant Valley Road.   The history of the Bridgeport Covered Bridge The history of Bridgeport Covered Bridge was featured in the  September 1950 California Highways & Public Works .  Bridgeport Covered Bridge was constructed during 1862 over the South Fork Yuba River.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge served as part of the Virginia Turnpike Company maintained Henness Pass Roa

Former California State Route 215

  California State Route 215 was a short-lived state highway which existed in the Los Angeles Metropolitain area after the 1964 State Highway Renumbering.  California State Route 215 was aligned from US Route 60 at 5th Street in Pomona north to US Route 66 near Claremont via Garey Avenue.  California State Route 215 came to be after California State Route 71 was bisected in Pomona due to relinquishment of a portion of Garey Avenue due to the opening of a portion of the Corona Freeway (now Chino Valley Freeway) during 1958.  California State Route 215 was deleted by the Legislature during 1965. The history of California State Route 215 The initial segment of what was to become California State Route 215 was added to the State Highway System as part of the 1909 First State Highway Bond Act.  The First State Highway Bond Act defined what would become  Legislative Route Number 19  (LRN 19) as running from Claremont to Riverside.  The segment of LRN 19 between Claremont and Pomona would in

US Route 70 over San Augustin Pass

San Augustin Pass is a gap in the Organ Mountains, San Augustin Mountains and San Andres in Dona Ana County east of Las Cruces.  San Augustin Pass lies an elevation of approximately 5,600 feet above sea level and was originally traversed by New Mexico State Route 3.  US Route 70 would be realigned over San Augustin Pass during 1934 when it was extended to Los Angeles, California.  During 1963 US Route 82 would be extended through San Augustin Pass to Las Cruces.  Since the early the early 1990s signage of US Route 82 has been withdrawn to Alamogordo.  San Augustin Pass and US Route 70 are largely known for the numerous closures due to test firings originating from the White Sands Missile Range.   Part 1; the history of highway designations over San Augustin Pass San Augustin Pass traditionally has been the easiest from the Rio Grande in Las Cruces east to the Tularosa Basin.  The terrain conditions at San Augustin Pass allowed for an easy crossing in the gap between the Organ Mountains