Skip to main content

Lawn Way, Capitola, California

Lawn Way is signed street located in Capitola of Santa Cruz County, California.  Despite being a signed street within Capitola the right-of-way of Lawn Way is accessible only to pedestrians and is lined with a grassy surface.  Lawn Way is lined by signature colorfully painted cottages which have been part of Capitola since 1911.  Lawn Way is an east/west street located between San Jose Avenue and Monterey Avenue to the immediate north of Capitola Beach. 


The history of Lawn Way

What is now Capitola was known as Soquel Landing during the 1850s.  Soquel Landing was located at a wharf which had been positioned at the mouth of Soquel Creek at Monterey Bay.  During the 1860s the site of Soquel Landing was the site of an unsuccessful whaling station.  

During 1869 Frederick Hihn the property owner of Soquel Landing reached an agreement with Samuel Hall to build a seaside resort.  Hall's seaside resort initially opened as a series of seaside tents on July 4, 1874, as Camp Capitola.  During the following decades the resort community of Capitola would begin to develop from Camp Capitola.  

On July 29, 1911, Lawn Way and the Lawn Way Cottages were dedicated.  Lawn Way is thought to be the location of the original tents which comprised the resort at Camp Capitola.  Lawn Way was originally adorned with palm trees, olive trees and gas lanterns which were back dropped by uniquely colored cottages.  The eastern end of Lawn Way served at the entrance to Frederick Hihn's Grand Hotel Capitola.  When Capitola incorporated as a city on January 11, 1949, the first city hall was located at 104 Lawn Way.  

The view below faces south from San Jose Avenue at the Lawn Way Street blade.

Facing east towards Monterey Avenue reveals a view of the Lawn Way Cottages and grassy surface of Lawn Way. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The Tale of Tollhouse Road, western California State Route 168 and failed Piute Pass Highway

Western California State Route 168 is entirely located in Fresno County and is linked historically to the Tollhouse Road corridor.   Tollhouse Road is one of the oldest highways in the Sierra Nevada range of Fresno County. The corridor presently begins in at Clovis Avenue in downtown Clovis and extends northeast to Huntington Lake. In 1866 the Woods Brothers established mining claims on Pine Ridge. In 1867 Fresno County would grant the brothers a toll franchise to construct a roadway to the desirable logging areas atop Pine Ridge and near Dinkey Creek. The Woods would establish a tollhouse at the start of their franchise road and lumber mill. The lumber mill attracted settlers which led to the establishment of the mountain town of Tollhouse. Fresno County would purchase the Tollhouse Road in 1878 and make it a public highway. The county would remove the tolls and incorporate the corridor into the existing county road network. Prior to the establishment of Clovis in 1...

Old Dunlap Road (former California State Route 180 in Yokuts Valley)

When California State Route 180 was commissioned in August 1934 the alignment in took in Sierra Nevada range was very different than from today.  The original highway alignment from Squaw Valley (now Yokuts Valley) to east Grant Grove (then part of General Grant National Park) originally followed what is now Ruth Hill Road, Dunlap Road, Pinehurst Road (modern California State Route 245), Dark Canyon Road (partially now Forest Road 14S45).  After funding fell through for the planned Kings Canyon Road the was corridor eventually picked up as a 30-mile-long cooperative project between the Division of Highways and Federal Government.  Much of current alignment of California State Route 180 bypassing Squaw Valley (now Yokuts Valley) and Dunlap was complete by 1941.  The post-1941 alignment of California State Route 180 in Squaw Valley was shifted onto what was once Dunlap Road in Squaw Valley.  This alignment itself was later bypassed by modern California State Route...