Skip to main content

Utah State Route 20

Utah State Route 20 is a 20.492 mile State Highway which connects Interstate 15 in Iron County east to US Route 89 in Garfield County.  Utah State Route 20 ascends a gap between the Markagunt Plateau and Tushar Mountains which is aligned partially over the historic route of the Old Spanish Trail.  Utah State Route 20 is popular as a freight corridor and as a reliable means for traffic to approach Bryce Canyon National Park.   


Part 1; the history of Utah State Route 20

As noted in the intro the corridor of Utah State Route 20 ("UT 20") is closely aligned with the Old Spanish Trail.  The Old Spanish Trail was a corridor established by Spanish explorers during the Las Californias period of the 18th Century between Santa Fe and Los Angeles.  The Old Spanish Trail progressing towards the American Period became well established and was largely incorporated into emigrant roads.  The Spanish Trail passed through the gap in the Markagunt Plateau and Tushar Mountains west from modern US Route 89 via what is now; UT 20, Upper Bear Valley Road and Little Creek Canyon Road to UT 271 (former US Route 91) near Paragonah.  This alignment is cited as part of the official Old Spanish Trail touring route by the National Park Service.  

The route of the Old Spanish Trail through the gap between the Markagunt Plateau and Tushar Mountains was adopted as a Utah State Highway in 1917.  This State Highway was assigned as UT 20 in 1927 which can be seen aligned between US Route 89 west to US Route 91 in Paragonah on the 1931 Clason's Road Map of Utah.  

The first UT 90 was commissioned by the State of Utah in 1935 as a new highway connecting from UT 20 in Little Bear Valley northwest to US Route 91.  The original UT 90 appears for the first time on the 1939 Rand McNally Map of Nevada-Utah.  

The original UT 90 was decommissioned in 1947 as it was consolidated into a realigned UT 20.  Following the realignment of UT 20 what had been the original alignment on Upper Bear Valley Road and Little Creek Canyon Road was relinquished from the State Highway System.  The realignment of UT 20 in 1947 forms the basis for the modern highway and can be seen on the 1950 Shell Highway Map of Utah


Part 2; a drive on Utah State Route 20

UT 20 eastbound begins in Iron County from Interstate 15 Exit 95.  





UT 20 eastbound is signed as 20 miles from US Route 89 departing Interstate 15.  Traffic is further advised that Bryce Canyon is 52 miles eastward.  



UT 20 eastbound is initially signed with a 65 MPH speed limit.  UT 20 eastbound has numerous climbing lanes ascending to a unnamed pass at 7,920 feet above sea level.












UT 20 eastbound drops to a 35 MPH speed limit as it descends a 8% grade over the course of 3 miles to Little Bear Valley.  









UT 20 eastbound intersects Upper Bear Valley Road (the Old Spanish Trail and Old UT 20) in Little Bear Valley and resumes a 65 MPH speed limit.   UT 20 east of Upper Bear Valley Road is signed as part of the Old Spanish Trail.  


UT 20 eastbound follows Bear Creek through a series of canyons to the Garfield County Line.  Shortly after entering Garfield County UT 20 eastbound terminates at US Route 89.  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Huey P. Long Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

The decade of the 1930s brought unprecedented growth and development to Louisiana’s transportation infrastructure as the cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge cemented their place as leading urban centers on the Gulf Coast. In the immediate aftermath of the success garnered by the construction of the massive bridge on the Mississippi River near New Orleans in 1935, planning and construction commenced on the state’s second bridge over the great river. This new bridge, located on the north side of Baton Rouge, was to be similar in design and form to its downriver predecessor. Completed in 1940 as the second bridge across the Mississippi River in Louisiana and the first to be built in the Baton Rouge area, this bridge is one of two bridges on the Mississippi named for Huey P. Long, a Louisiana politician who served as the 40th Governor of the State from 1928 to 1932, then as U.S. Senator from 1932 until his death by assassination at the state capitol in Baton Rouge on September 10, 1935