Skip to main content

Travel New England: East Haddam, CT


The village of East Haddam, viewed from the Connecticut River and looking northeasterly along Route 82

The lower Connecticut River valley is among the most scenic and quiet areas in all of southern New England. It is hard to imagine that this area is actually right in the center of the busy New York to Boston segment of the sprawling Northeast Corridor. Of all the small towns and tiny villages that dot the landscape of this region, one seems to stand out above all the rest – a town located on the Connecticut River full of important landmarks and scenic attractions of all kinds that are bound to leave a memorable impression on travelers alike.


Above: East Haddam's Village Hall and historic markers

The village of East Haddam was incorporated in 1734 and is home to several historic buildings & structures that have been central to the town’s identity since colonial times. The Gelston House is a historic hotel & restaurant establishment dating as far back as 1853. The House offers an upscale lodging & dining experience for travelers of all kinds and operates year-round. A short distance north of the main village is the Nathan Hale School House, a historic one-room schoolhouse site notable for being a location where Connecticut’s official “state hero” briefly taught in 1773. Hale went on to serve as an American soldier and spy for the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. He was captured by the British during an intelligence-gathering mission behind enemy lines (while attempting to gather information about British troop movements in the New York City area) and was executed in 1776.

Above: The Gelston House

Built in 1877, the Goodspeed Opera House is among the most distinguishable structures in town and is the epicenter for the area’s performing arts activities. The building’s construction was financed by a local merchant and banker named William Goodspeed. Contrary to its name, this building has never actually played host to opera performances but rather has been utilized for smaller-scale play & musical productions. In fact, some of Broadway’s most famous musical productions had their pre-Broadway trial runs at Goodspeed Theater, including Annie, Man of La Mancha, and Shenandoah. The building is clearly visible and distinguishable from the river and is a favorite landmark for tourists on the road or on the water.

Above: The Goodspeed Opera House

Aside from the Opera House, the most recognizable landmark in the village is the bridge spanning the Connecticut River nearby. The East Haddam Bridge was built in 1913 and is an impressive steel truss swing bridge built in an ornate style that easily blends in with the surrounding natural and man-made landmarks. A link to an additional blog post about this bridge (including other information and photos) will be found at the bottom of this article.

Above: The East Haddam Bridge carries CT Route 82 across the Connecticut River

Located on the west bank of the river immediately across the bridge is the historic Goodspeed Train Station, built as a stop on the old Connecticut Valley Railroad. Nowadays, it’s home to an antique/general store and is the starting point for a unique railbike attraction run by the Valley Railroad Company. Steam train and riverboat excursion tours are offered in this area, some of which originate their journey here in East Haddam at the Goodspeed Station and/or at the nearby Eagle Landing State Park; all can often be spotted along the tracks and the nearby Connecticut River during the warm months of the year.

Above: The Goodspeed Station, plus an excursion train and riverboat sighting in town


How to Get There:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh