Skip to main content

The Mississippi River Bridges of Vicksburg, MS: An Introduction

Welcome to the gateway page for Gribblenation’s series on the bridges of the lower Mississippi River in Vicksburg, MS! Here you will find links to information about the two bridges that span the river at the historic city of Vicksburg. The bridges of Vicksburg were constructed during the period between the early automobile era of the 1920s and the height of the modern interstate highway era of the 1970s. Each has a unique story to tell and they play a vital part in the transportation system of the Mississippi Delta region.

Cover Photo: From left to right, the Vicksburg Bridge (1973) and the Old Vicksburg Bridge (1930) combine to create one of the most impressive bridge-related visuals on the lower Mississippi River.

Old Vicksburg Bridge
The Old Vicksburg Bridge was built in 1930 and was among the first railroad bridges built across the lower Mississippi River. It's unique deck design enabled both road and rail traffic to share deck space adjacent to one another through the steel cantilever truss superstructure.


Old Vicksburg Bridge (1930)

Vicksburg Bridge
The Vicksburg Bridge was built immediately downriver in 1973 and is part of Interstate 20 and US Highway 80, the latter relocating off it's long standing alignment on the "old" bridge to the more modern "new" bridge.


Vicksburg Bridge (1973)

Links to Gribblenation Articles:

Old Vicksburg Bridge (1930)

Vicksburg Bridge (1973)

Vicksburg's Mississippi River Bridges

How To Get There:


Bridges, Crossings, and Structures of the Lower Mississippi River
Return to the Bridges of the Lower Mississippi River Home Page
__________________________________________________

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th