Skip to main content

New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site - New Windsor, New York

The Hudson Valley holds an important part of the history of the American Revolution. For instance, the Hudson River at West Point was considered one of the most important strategic locations during the Revolutionary War. Not far upstream in New Windsor is one of the locations of the final days of the American Revolution, an encampment where George Washington and his troops wintered from October 1782 to June 1783, the New Windsor Cantonment.



A year after the decisive American victory over the British in Yorktown, Virginia in 1781, George Washington moved a large part of his army to New Windsor for winter quarters or in other words, a cantonment. Although the American army was better housed, fed and clothed than any other time during the Revolutionary War, life at the New Windsor Cantonment was still quite difficult. At the cantonment in New Windsor, some 7000 troops built log huts for shelter, drilled and kept ready for a possible spring campaign if peace negotiations in France were not successful. Meanwhile, grievances over pensions, land and back pay threatened to have soldiers erupt in rebellion. Following the news of the Treaty of Paris, Washington issued cease fire orders, which became effective April 19, 1783, bringing the eight year war to an end and the army was peacefully furloughed back to their homes and communities.

High ranking officers in the American army, including Major General Horatio Gates and Major General Henry Knox, were quartered in nearby private homes. George Washington made his headquarters in the Jonathan Hasbrouck house in Newburgh, and that house is now known as Washington's Headquarters State Historic Site.

Today, the New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site preserves 120 acres of the original 1600 acre encampment, where soldiers transformed the acreage of forests and meadows into the the military encampment where they spent the final months of the Revolution. A visit to the cantonment will allow you to see replicas and foundations of buildings constructed by soldiers, monuments, demonstrations of military drills and daily cantonment life. There are sites related to the cantonment found on both sides of NY Route 300, which may locally be known as Temple Hill Road, a nod to the Temple of Virtue that was built on the site of the encampment. On the grounds of the New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site, you can also find the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor, as it was George Washington himself who awarded badges of merit, a predecessor of the Purple Heart, in those waning days of the Revolution.

The Peace Bell, which was constructed to commemorate the cessation of hostilities at the end of the American Revolution.


Encampment cabins, or hut sites.

Some of the huts you will encounter on site were for the 4th and 7th Massachusetts Regiments.

Historical marker noting the hut sites at the winter encampment. As you can see, many stone foundations of the huts remain.
Some foundations of the huts.


Monument dedicated to the last cantonment of the American Revolution.

Cantonment cemetery.

Replicas of cabins built during the encampment period can be found around the historic site.



Soldier's hut foundation.
The Temple of Virtue, the most famous building in the cantonment. In December 1782, at the suggestion of the Reverend Israel Evans, General Washington ordered the troops to construct a large building that would serve as a chapel for Sunday services. The resulting Temple of Virtue, also called the Public Building, was 110 feet in length by 30 feet in width. The building was used also for court martial hearings, the encampment's commissary, quartermaster activities and officers’ functions.

A great number of events happened at the Temple of Virtue. On March 15, 1783, a challenge to General Washington and the Continental Congress, now known as the Newburgh Addresses, was countered by Washington at a meeting held in the Temple of Virtue. A month later, When news of the peace treaty and Congress’ “Proclamation of the Cessation of Hostilities” happened in April 1783, this enabled Washington to issue cease fire orders. As a result, a copy of the proclamation was posted on the door of the Temple of Virtue.


The outside of the Temple of Virtue.
George Washington felt it was important to honor the men who served in the Army during the Revolutionary War, and it was at the Temple of Virtue, he was able to gather stories of enlisted soldiers and select candidates to be awarded the Badge of Military Merit, which is considered to be a predecessor of today's Purple Heart.
Because of this, there is a now a museum called the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor at the New Windsor Cantonment.

The National Purple Heart Hall of Honor visitor's center and museum.


Remembering those soldiers killed or wounded in action during American military campaigns.




How to Get There:


Sources and Links:
Vintage Hudson Valley - American Revolution Sites and Museums
A Revolutionary Day - New Windsor Cantonment
ScholarWorks at Grand Valley State University - George Washington and the Temple of Virtue
New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation - New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site
 


Update Log:
March 10, 2019 - Published article to Unlocking New York.
October 12, 2021 - Transferred article from Unlocking New York to Gribblenation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

California State Route 38

California State Route 38 is a fifty-nine-mile State Highway located entirety in San Bernardino County and a component of the Rim of the World Highway.  California State Route 38 begins at California State Route 18 at Bear Valley Dam of the San Bernardino Mountains and follows an easterly course on the north shore of Big Bear Lake.  California State Route 38 briefly multiplexes California State Route 18 near Baldwin Lake and branches east towards the 8,443-foot-high Onyx Summit.  From Onyx Summit the routing of California State Route 38 reverses course following a largely westward path through the San Bernardino Mountains towards a terminus at Interstate 10 in Redlands.   Pictured as the blog cover is California State Route 38 at Onyx Summit the day it opened to traffic on August 12th, 1961.   Part 1; the history of California State Route 38 California State Route 38 (CA 38) is generally considered to be the back way through the San Bernardino Mountains to Big Bear Lake of Bear Valley

The original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh

Firebaugh is a city located on the San Joaquin River of western Fresno County.  Firebaugh is one of the oldest American communities in San Joaquin Valley having been settled as the location of Firebaugh's Ferry in 1854.  Traditionally Firebaugh has been served by California State Route 33 which was one of the original Sign State Routes announced during August 1934.  In modern times California State Route 33 is aligned through Firebaugh on N Street.  Originally California State Route 33 headed southbound passed through Firebaugh via; N Street, 8th Street, O Street, 12th Street, Nees Avenue and Washoe Avenue.  The blog cover depicts early California State Route 33 near Firebaugh crossing over a one-lane canal bridge.  The image below is from the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Fresno County which depicts the original alignment of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh. Part 1; the history of California State Route 33 in Firebaugh The community of Firebaugh is named in honor of Andr

Driving the Watkins Glen Historic Road Course - New York

  Situated at the south end of Seneca Lake in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, Watkins Glen is well known for wineries along Seneca Lake and waterfalls at Watkins Glen State Park . But one thing that gives the town much renown is its connection to the world of auto racing. The raceway at Watkins Glen Internationa l holds a number of big races every year, such as Six Hours at the Glen and the NASCAR Cup Series . The history of auto racing at Watkins Glen starts during the 1940s when the race followed a course on local roads and also through the streets of downtown Watkins Glen. It's a course that you can follow today, preferably at a more moderate speed than the auto racers of yore raced at. Let's explore the history of the original course, how it came to by and why it is no more. Organized races through the village of Watkins Glen and surrounding roads were first proposed and started by Cameron R. Argetsinger in 1948, marking the beginning of post-war sports car