Skip to main content

Old Creek Road

After completing Signed County Route G14 I headed on California State Route 46 west of Paso Robles to Old Creek Road.






Old Creek Road is a short connecting route between CA 46 and CA 1.  Old Creek Road is a somewhat infamous road in San Luis Obispo County that draws a lot of interest from motorcycle groups.  Interestingly Old Creek Road not only has a junction with CA 46 but also Santa Rosa Creek Road which was a former alignment of CA 41 before the 1964 Highway Renumbering in addition to post 1964 CA 46. 





Old Creek Road starts with a simple advisory sign that the next 5 miles are curvy which is an understatement.


From CA 46 Old Creek Road descends on a tall downhill grade from about 1,300 feet above sea level to 220 feet at the Whale Rock Reservoir.  Old Creek Road is extremely narrow through this section and the road bed has deep groves to deter lane crossing. 
















The Whale Rock Reservoir was completed in 1961 and impound Old Creek.  Its kind of strange to see a man-made lake floating above the Pacific Ocean which clearly can be seen not far to the west.





At the Whale Rock Reservoir the grade of Old Creek Road becomes far more shallow and it enters Cayucos where it terminates at CA 1.






Interestingly Old Creek Road has been around for quite a long time and probably was an even more useful road before CA 46 was realigned onto it's modern routing off Santa Rosa Creek Road.  The alignment of Old Creek Road can clearly be seen on the 1935 California Division of Highways map of San Luis Obispo County.  Interestingly it appears Old Creek Road used to run through what is now Whale Rock Reservoir onto 13th Street in Cayucos.  I find it odd that Old Creek Road never received a Signed County Route designation given that it would have made for a decent addition to the system and is old enough to be exempt from modern width requirements.

1935 San Luis Obispo County Highway Map



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Horace Wilkinson Bridge (Baton Rouge, LA)

Standing tall across from downtown Baton Rouge, the Horace Wilkinson Bridge carries Interstate 10 across the lower Mississippi River between West Baton Rouge and East Baton Rouge Parishes. Unusually, the bridge is actually named for three separate people; three generations of Horace Wilkinsons who served in the Louisiana State Legislature over a combined period of 54 years. Constructed in the 1960s and opened to traffic in 1968, this is one of the largest steel bridges on the lower Mississippi. It’s also the tallest bridge across the Mississippi, with its roadway reaching 175 ft at the center span. Baton Rouge is the northernmost city on the river where deep-water, ocean-going vessels can operate. As a result, this bridge is the northernmost bridge on the river of truly gigantic proportions. Altogether, the bridge is nearly 2 ½ miles long and its massive truss superstructure is 4,550 ft long with a center main truss span of 1,235 ft. The Horace Wilkinson Bridge is one of the largest

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh