Skip to main content

Roundabouts drive Malta, NY traffic debate

One of the more highly debated road construction projects in New York State's Capital Region over recent years was the construction of five roundabouts along NY State Route 67 near the I-87 Northway in Malta. In an effort to improve traffic flow in this growing section of Saratoga County, and in anticipation of future growth (such as the AMD chip fab plant that is supposed to be built nearby), NYSDOT had decided to replace existing traffic lights with a series of roundabouts. It is designed to be faster and safer, and the results in the 10 months since the roundabout construction was completed echoes those principles. According to a June 27, 2007 article in the Albany Times Union, traffic times have cut down to an average of 2 minutes per trip as compared to an average of 6 minutes per trip before the roundabouts were put into place. Accidents are also down.

The complaint that many have with roundabouts has to do with navigation. People driving around the roundabouts in Malta have complained about how to drive on them. With some adaptation (or getting used to), roundabouts will actually show their usefulness. And they are becoming more popular, especially in the Capital Region of New York State. Completed projects in Glens Falls and Valatie, along with construction on the expansion of the Slingerlands Bypass (NY State Route 85) show the increase of roundabouts in the area. And I think that it is a good idea, and expect to see more roundabout construction in the area, typically at more complicated intersections.

Roundabouts drive Malta traffic debate - Albany Times Union

Comments

Adam said…
When the NY 85 roundabouts open, it certainly will be a favorite discussion item on WGY and WROW talk shows. Just like the Malta Roundabouts were and still are!

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Madera County Road 400 and the 1882-1886 Yosemite Stage Road

Madera County Road 400 is an approximately twenty-four-mile roadway following the course of the Fresno River in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Road 400 begins at California State Route 145 near Madera and terminates to the north at Road 415 near Coarsegold.  Traditionally Road 400 was known as "River Road" prior to Madera County dropping naming conventions on county highways.  Road 400 was part of the original Yosemite Stage Route by the Washburn Brothers which began in 1882.  The Yosemite Stage Route would be realigned to the west in 1886 along what is now Road 600 to a rail terminus in Raymond.  Parts of Road 400 were realigned in 1974 to make way for the Hensley Lake Reservoir.  Part 1; the history of Madera County Road 400 Road 400 is historically tied to the Wawona Road and Hotel.  The Wawona Hotel is located near the Mariposa Grove in the modern southern extent of Yosemite National Park.   The origins of the Wawona Road are tied to the Wawona Hotel but it does predate th