Skip to main content

Gilroy Hot Springs Road


Gilroy Hot Springs Road is an approximately 6.5-mile highway located in the Diablo Range of southeast Santa Clara County.  The highway begins at the Coyote Lake Reservoir and terminates at the 1921 era Gilroy Hot Springs Road Bridge.  The site of Gilroy Yamato Hot Springs traditionally has been a luxury resort which saw significant Japanese design influence beginning in the late 1930s.  The resort site is now owned by the State Park service and is awaiting restoration.  




Part 1; the history of Gilroy Hot Springs Road

The site of Gilroy Hots Springs was passed during the Second Expedition by Juan Bautista de Anza in 1776.  The expedition camped twice along Coyote Creek in what is now Henry W. Coe State Park while passing through the Diablo Range.  

Gilroy Hot Springs was formally discovered in the early 1860s by Francisco Cantua.  The property the was purchased by California settlers George Roop and William Olden in 1866.  Roop would spur development of a resort which would see a three-story hotel constructed in 1874 along with Italian-Victorian style bathhouse in 1890.  

The site of Gilroy Hot Springs can be seen northeast of Gilroy on the 1882 Bancroft's map of California.  


During 1913 a Redwood water tank was installed at Gilroy Hot Springs.  A truss bridge was constructed over Coyote Creek in 1921 which permitted easier automotive access for visitors.  

Gilroy Hot Springs Road can be seen on the 1921 United States Geological Survey map of the area.  


Gilroy Hot Springs was sold by Roop to Emily and Williams McDonald who would continue to expand the resort.  Gilroy Hot Springs would begin to struggle during the Great Depression.  During 1934 the resort Post Office would close and in 1935 the Southern Pacific Railroad automotive stage service would end.  

Gilroy Hot Springs can be seen along modern Gilroy Hot Springs Road on the 1935 Division of Highways map of Santa Clara County.  The roadway is shown to be considered a major county highway.  


During 1938 Kyuzaburo Sakata a successful farmer from Watsonville purchased Gilroy Hot Springs.  Sakata would announce his intentions to construct a Japanese style garden at the resort which was complete prior to the United States entering World War II.  After the war Sakata would reopen the resort as "Gilroy Yamato Hot Springs" in 1946.  The resort would also become the home of approximately 150 Japanese American citizens who were released from internment camps following the end of the war.  

During 1964 Sakata could not meet Santa Clara County building requirements for heating requirements for the resort cabins.  Sakata would sell Gilroy Yamato Hot Springs in 1966 to Phillip S. Grimes.  During 1980 the resort hotel and clubhouse would burn down.  The facility was again sold in 1988 to Fukuyama International Incorporated.

Fukuyama International Incorporated planned to renovate Gilroy Yamato Hot Springs and successfully petitioned the state to designate it as a historic landmark by 1995.   The State Park system would purchase the property in 2003 as part of Henry W. Coe State Park.  The State Park system presently has not had the budget to restore the resort property but does offer private tours.  



Part 2; a drive on Gilroy Hot Springs Road

Eastbound Gilroy Hot Springs Road begins at the junction of Roop Road and Coyote Reservoir Road.  



Gilroy Hot Springs Road continues east along Coyote Creek and intersects Cañada Road.  Traffic following the Juan Bautista de Anaz Historic Trail is directed to turn south on Cañada Road.












Gilroy Hot Springs Road continues east from Cañada Road to the Hunting Hollow entrance to Henry W. Coe State Park.  






Gilroy Hot Springs Road turns north along with Coyote Creek.  The road ends at the 1921 Gilroy Hot Springs Road Bridge.  






The Gilroy Hot Springs Road Bridge is 120.1 feet long and has a wood road deck.  The structure was rehabilitated in 1993 and now has a metal gate to prevent unauthorized access to Gilroy Yamato Hot Springs.  









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The Tale of Tollhouse Road, western California State Route 168 and failed Piute Pass Highway

Western California State Route 168 is entirely located in Fresno County and is linked historically to the Tollhouse Road corridor.   Tollhouse Road is one of the oldest highways in the Sierra Nevada range of Fresno County. The corridor presently begins in at Clovis Avenue in downtown Clovis and extends northeast to Huntington Lake. In 1866 the Woods Brothers established mining claims on Pine Ridge. In 1867 Fresno County would grant the brothers a toll franchise to construct a roadway to the desirable logging areas atop Pine Ridge and near Dinkey Creek. The Woods would establish a tollhouse at the start of their franchise road and lumber mill. The lumber mill attracted settlers which led to the establishment of the mountain town of Tollhouse. Fresno County would purchase the Tollhouse Road in 1878 and make it a public highway. The county would remove the tolls and incorporate the corridor into the existing county road network. Prior to the establishment of Clovis in 1...

California State Route 73

California State Route 73 is 21 mile limited access highway aligned over the Corona del Mar Freeway and San Joaquin Hills Toll Road.  California State Route 73 connects Interstate 5 near San Juan Capistrano westward to Interstate 405 in Costa Mesa.  Prior to the construction of the Corona del Mar Freeway and San Joaquin Hills Tollway California State Route 73 was a surface highway located on largely MacArthur Boulevard. Part 1; the history of California State Route 73 What became California State Route 73 ("CA 73") entered the State Highway System in 1933 as Legislative Route Number 184 ("LRN 184").  LRN 184 was given the following route definition: "LRN 60 near Corona Del Mar to Santa Ana via Main Street" LRN 184 was announced in the April 1933 California Highways & Public Works .   LRN 184 appears for the first time on the  1934 Division of Highways Map .   LRN 184 appears under State Maintenance from US Route 101/LRN 2 in Santa Ana south ...