Skip to main content

Calaveritas Road


Calaveritas Road is a five-mile mountain highway in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of Calaveras County, California.  Calaveritas Road connects from Mountain Ranch Road in San Andreas southeast to Dogtown Road by way of the Gold Rush community of Calaveritas.  Calaveritas was founded in 1849 by Mexican miner and is the location where the ruins of the Costa Store can be found.  The Calaveritas Creek Bridge can be found on Calaveritas Road and is the oldest example of a top chord Warren pony truss in California having been constructed during 1928.  




Part 1; the history of Calaveritas Road

Calaveritas Road is named after the small community of the same name located southwest of San Andreas.  Calaveritas was founded by Mexican miners in 1849. The community is thought to have peaked with a population of about 800 by 1857. Much of Calaveritas would burn in a fire during 1858 which would lead to it declining. For a time, the community as known as "Upper Calaveritas" to differentiate it from a nearby "Lower Calaveritas."

Calaveritas Road can be seen connecting San Andreas to the vicinity of Indian Creek via Calaveritas on the 1914 C.F. Weber Map of Calaveras County.  


The Calaveritas Creek Bridge is located just south of the namesake community along Calaveritas Road.  The structure is a top chord Warren pony truss which was constructed during 1928.  The structure was found to be oldest remaining such design left in California during a study in 2015 (Calaveras Enterprise).  The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places during August of said year.  



Part 2; a drive on Calaveritas Road

Calaveritas Road begins in San Andreas at Mountain Ranch Road.  


As southbound Calaveritas Road begins traffic is warned of the 18,000-23,000lb weight limit four miles ahead at the Calaveritas Creek Bridge.


Calaveritas Road continues south as a two-lane road and drops to a single lane approaching the Cement Plant Road trestle.  


















The Cement Plant Road trestle was built over Calaveritas Road in the late 1920s by Calaveras Cement.  Calaveras Cement incorporated in 1925 and was based out of a plant located on Pool Station Road.  The company is most well-known for supplying cement to the construction site of Pardee Dam.  The company would construct a 5.5-mile private road from their plant to quarries located east of Calaveritas. Calaveras Cement would be sold in 1959 and again in 1979.  The company would be shuttered in 1983 due to being unable to compete with foreign cement prices and a high cost to modernize their plant.  Despite the shuttering of Calaveras Cement the road to the quarry remains private and inaccessible to the public. 


Calaveritas Road passes through the town site of Calaveritas.  The remains of the Costa Store constructed in 1852 harkens back to the era of the Gold Rush.  The Costa Store operated in the community into the early twentieth century.  A State Registered Landmark plaque can also be found in the community.











Calaveritas Road continues south over the Calaveritas Creek Bridge. 







Calaveritas Road climbs from Calaveritas Creek and terminates at Dogtown Road.  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New River Gorge National Park & Preserve - Thurmond

New River Gorge National Park and Preserve is best known for whitewater rafting and other forms of adventure tourism.  Yet, found in the hollows and isolated valleys are quiet farms and former coal mining towns.  Well off the beaten path and isolated from much of its surroundings, Thurmond provides a unique view into Central West Virginia's industrial past. Thurmond began as a railroad town in the late 1800s.  Sparked by the arrival of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad and the local coal industry, Thurmond quickly grew into a sizeable transportation and coal center.  When it incorporated as a town in 1903, Thurmond was a full-fledged community - home to two banks, two hotels, and many other services and stores. A CSX freight train passes the old coaling tower in Thurmond.  It was here that many steam locomotives would refill and refuel. Thurmond was home to a C&O railyard which serviced the numerous steam engines passing through the narrow valley.  Thu...

The Tale of Tollhouse Road, western California State Route 168 and failed Piute Pass Highway

Western California State Route 168 is entirely located in Fresno County and is linked historically to the Tollhouse Road corridor.   Tollhouse Road is one of the oldest highways in the Sierra Nevada range of Fresno County. The corridor presently begins in at Clovis Avenue in downtown Clovis and extends northeast to Huntington Lake. In 1866 the Woods Brothers established mining claims on Pine Ridge. In 1867 Fresno County would grant the brothers a toll franchise to construct a roadway to the desirable logging areas atop Pine Ridge and near Dinkey Creek. The Woods would establish a tollhouse at the start of their franchise road and lumber mill. The lumber mill attracted settlers which led to the establishment of the mountain town of Tollhouse. Fresno County would purchase the Tollhouse Road in 1878 and make it a public highway. The county would remove the tolls and incorporate the corridor into the existing county road network. Prior to the establishment of Clovis in 1...

California State Route 73

California State Route 73 is 21 mile limited access highway aligned over the Corona del Mar Freeway and San Joaquin Hills Toll Road.  California State Route 73 connects Interstate 5 near San Juan Capistrano westward to Interstate 405 in Costa Mesa.  Prior to the construction of the Corona del Mar Freeway and San Joaquin Hills Tollway California State Route 73 was a surface highway located on largely MacArthur Boulevard. Part 1; the history of California State Route 73 What became California State Route 73 ("CA 73") entered the State Highway System in 1933 as Legislative Route Number 184 ("LRN 184").  LRN 184 was given the following route definition: "LRN 60 near Corona Del Mar to Santa Ana via Main Street" LRN 184 was announced in the April 1933 California Highways & Public Works .   LRN 184 appears for the first time on the  1934 Division of Highways Map .   LRN 184 appears under State Maintenance from US Route 101/LRN 2 in Santa Ana south ...