Skip to main content

Dillon Road


Dillon Road is a 34.2-mile highway located in northern Coachella Valley of Riverside County, California.  Dillon Road begins at Avenue 48 on the outskirts of Indio and ends to the west at California State Route 62 near San Gorgonio Pass.  Dillon Road was developed the 1930s as a construction road for the Colorado River Aqueduct.  Dillon Road serves as a northern bypass to much of the development of Coachella Valley.  Dillon Road is known for it's frequent dips and spectacular views of San Gorgonio Pass.  




Part 1; the history of Dillon Road

Dillon Road was constructed as a haul road for the Colorado River Aqueduct through Coachella Valley.  The Colorado River Aqueduct spans 242 miles from Parker Dam on the Colorado River west to Lake Mathews near Corona.  Construction of the Colorado River Aqueduct began during January 1933 near Thousand Palms and was made functional on January 7, 1939.  West of Berdoo Canyon Road the alignment of Dillon Road is largely concurrent with the Colorado River Aqueduct.  

Dillon Road can be seen in a photo dated to 1934 at the intersection with Thousand Palms Canyon Road (courtesy Carl Schulz).  


Modern Dillon Road between Grapefruit Boulevard and Interstate 10 was once part of the Indio-Cutoff alignment of US Route 60 and US Route 70.  The September 1934 California Highways & Public Works announced construction on the Indio-Cutoff Spur of Legislative Route Number 64 (LRN 64) had begun. The Indio-Cutoff was to serve as a new alignment of US Route 60/US Route 70 which would enter Coachella Valley via Dillon Road and would provide a bypass to the hazards of Box Canyon.




The July 1935 California Highways & Public Works featured the opening of the Indio-Cutoff and realignment of US Route 60/US Route 70 onto the new spur of LRN 64. The Indio-Cutoff is stated to have opened during June 1935 five months ahead of schedule. The Indio-Cutoff is stated to be 9 miles shorter than the original alignment of US Route 60/US Route 70 through Box Canyon. Despite Box Canyon no longer being part of US Route 60/US Route 70, it would remain under State maintenance and become part of the second California State Route 195. The eastern end of the Indio-Cutoff near Indio incorporated Dillon Road into it's alignment.



The November/December 1958 California Highways & Public Works noted US Route 60/US Route 70/LRN 64 from Indio-Cactus City was under study to expand to freeway standards.  US Route 60/US Route 70/LRN 64 from Cactus City east to the Arizona State Line is stated to have had a freeway alignment adopted by the California Highway Commission.  



US Route 70 was approved to be truncated from Los Angeles to US Route 95 in Blythe by the American Association of State Highway Officials on August 26, 1963.  The truncation of US Route 70 left only US Route 60 and temporary Interstate 10 as the only signed routes using the Indio stub of Dillon Road along the Indio-Cutoff.  LRN 26 would be dropped along with all the Legislative Route Numbers as part of the 1964 State Highway Renumbering.  




The November/December 1964 California Highways & Public Works noted a 10-mile segment of US 60/Interstate 10 east of Indio was completed to freeway standards during the previous season. 


The American Association of State Highway Officials Executive Committee approved US Route 60 to be truncated from downtown Los Angeles to US Route 95 in Blythe on October 2nd, 1965.  The truncation of US Route 60 to Blythe left only temporary Interstate 10 on the Indio stub of Dillon Road.



The California Highways & Public Works publication ended in 1967 prior to Interstate 10 through Indio being completed.  Interstate 10 appears on the 1967 Division of Highways Map with a determined freeway routing which would bypass Indio and would connect with a planned freeway to Thermal.  Interstate 10 is shown following an interim alignment through Indio from the Indio Rail Overhead along Indio Boulevard and Dillon Road to the Indio-Cutoff.  


During the early 1970s Interstate 10 was completed through Indio and the segment of Dillon Road in the State Highway System was relinquished.  The completion of Interstate 10 in Coachella Valley and Indio appears on the 1975 Caltrans Map.  




Part 2; a drive on Dillon Road

From westbound Interstate 10, Dillon Road can be accessed from Exit 146.  Traffic is notified Dillon Road can be used to reach California State Route 86.  





From modern California State Route 86 northbound traffic is advised the Exit to Dillon Road can be used to reach Interstate 10.  


Dillon Road can also be accessed from the northern terminus of Thousand Palms Canyon Road.  Westbound Dillon Road traffic has Desert Hot Springs, Sky Valley and Desert Edge as control locations.  


Dillon Road westbound emerges onto a view of San Gorgonio Mountain and San Gorgonio Pass before entering Sky Valley.  The prominent dips of Dillon Road largely render it signed as a no passing zone.  




Dillon Road westbound in Sky Valley is signed with a California Scenic Route placard.  


Dillon Road westbound skirts the hills above Coachella Valley and passes through Desert Edge approaching Corkill Road.  

















Westbound Dillon Road enters the city of Desert Hot Springs approaching Palm Drive.  





Dillon Road westbound enters the community of North Palm Springs approaching Indian Canyon Drive.  




West of Indian Canyon Drive, Dillon Road passes through the city limits of Palm Springs and the San Gorgonio Pass Wind Farm.  Dillon Road terminates at California State Route 62 just beyond the northwest city limit of Palm Springs near San Gorgonio Pass.  










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paper Highways: The Unbuilt New Orleans Bypass (Proposed I-410)

  There are many examples around the United States of proposed freeway corridors in urban areas that never saw the light of day for one reason or another. They all fall somewhere in between the little-known and the infamous and from the mundane to the spectacular. One of the more obscure and interesting examples of such a project is the short-lived idea to construct a southern beltway for the New Orleans metropolitan area in the 1960s and 70s. Greater New Orleans and its surrounding area grew rapidly in the years after World War II, as suburban sprawl encroached on the historically rural downriver parishes around the city. In response to the development of the region’s Westbank and the emergence of communities in St. Charles and St. John the Baptist Parishes as viable suburban communities during this period, regional planners began to consider concepts for new infrastructure projects to serve this growing population.  The idea for a circular freeway around the southern perimeter of t

Hernando de Soto Bridge (Memphis, TN)

The newest of the bridges that span the lower Mississippi River at Memphis, the Hernando de Soto Bridge was completed in 1973 and carries Interstate 40 between downtown Memphis and West Memphis, AR. The bridge’s signature M-shaped superstructure makes it an instantly recognizable landmark in the city and one of the most visually unique bridges on the Mississippi River. As early as 1953, Memphis city planners recommended the construction of a second highway bridge across the Mississippi River to connect the city with West Memphis, AR. The Memphis & Arkansas Bridge had been completed only four years earlier a couple miles downriver from downtown, however it was expected that long-term growth in the metro area would warrant the construction of an additional bridge, the fourth crossing of the Mississippi River to be built at Memphis, in the not-too-distant future. Unlike the previous three Mississippi River bridges to be built the city, the location chosen for this bridge was about two

Memphis & Arkansas Bridge (Memphis, TN)

  Like the expansion of the railroads the previous century, the modernization of the country’s highway infrastructure in the early and mid 20th Century required the construction of new landmark bridges along the lower Mississippi River (and nation-wide for that matter) that would facilitate the expected growth in overall traffic demand in ensuing decades. While this new movement had been anticipated to some extent in the Memphis area with the design of the Harahan Bridge, neither it nor its neighbor the older Frisco Bridge were capable of accommodating the sharp rise in the popularity and demand of the automobile as a mode of cross-river transportation during the Great Depression. As was the case 30 years prior, the solution in the 1940s was to construct a new bridge in the same general location as its predecessors, only this time the bridge would be the first built exclusively for vehicle traffic. This bridge, the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge, was completed in 1949 and was the third