Skip to main content

Disneyland Drive


Disneyland Drive is an approximately 1.3-mile-long north/south road within the city of Anaheim, California.  Disneyland Drive serves as the western frontage road to the Disneyland theme park.  The signage of Disneyland Drive does not conform to the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control devices.  This blog will explore the history of Disneyland Drive and off-color signage.   


Part 1; the history of Disneyland Drive

Prior to the creation of the Disneyland theme park what was to become Disneyland Drive was part of West Street in the city of Anaheim.  West Street can be seen extending north of Katella Avenue to Ball Road on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Orange County.  

The original concept of Disneyland first appeared in draft documents sent by Walt Disney to production designer Dick Kelsey during August 1948.  Conceptually known as "Mickey Mouse Park" the original site desired by Walk Disney was near the Walk Disney Studios in Burbank.   The park envisioned by Walt Disney soon became too large to construct near Burbank which led to Walt Disney Studios purchasing 160-acres of land in Anaheim.  Construction of Disneyland would begin on July 16, 1954 and would open to public on July 18, 1955.  

The location of Disneyland was further driven by the connectivity it would have to the Santa Ana Freeway (then US Route 101).  The September 1955 California Highways & Public Works refenced the eventual site of Disneyland in Anaheim was suggested by the Stanford Research Institute on August 28, 1953.  The recommendation of Anaheim was made due to the close proximity to the planned Santa Ana Freeway.  Harbor Boulevard was noted to the initial primary connecting road from the Santa Ana Freeway to Disneyland parking area.  













Disneyland can be seen on the 1965 United States Geological Survey Map of Anaheim primarily served by Harbor Boulevard directing traffic from the Santa Ana Freeway (now Interstate 5) to the main parking lot.  West Street can be seen serving as the western frontage of the Disneyland park in addition to the adjacent hotel facilities.  


Construction of the California Adventure annex of Disneyland would begin on January 22, 1998 and would open on February 8, 2001.  California Adventure was constructed over the original Disneyland parking lot.  The parking areas of Disneyland were moved to the west of the park and West Street was rebuilt as Disneyland Drive.  Exit 110B from southbound Interstate 5 was constructed to connect to Disneyland Drive.  Disneyland Drive can be seen on the 2012 United State Geological Survey Map of Anaheim.  




Part 2; a drive along Disneyland Drive

Southbound Disneyland Drive can be accessed from Interstate 5 Exit 110B.  







As southbound Disneyland Drive approaches Ball Road magenta signage directs traffic towards Mickey and Friends Parking Garage.  Downtown Disney and Convention Center traffic are directed to stay right on Disneyland Drive.  The magenta signage does not conform to the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices.  



As Disneyland Drive passes south of Ball Road traffic can access the Mickey and Friends Parking Garage again via a second overpass.  Through traffic on Disneyland Drive is directed to stay to the right.  





Southbound Disneyland Drive crosses over the entrance to the Mickey and Friends Parking Garage towards an intersection with Magic Way.  The Pixar and Pals Parking Garage and other Disneyland parking areas can be accessed from Magic Way.  




Disneyland Drive continues south of Magic Way where it eventually terminates at Katella Avenue.  



Part 3; road stuff at Disneyland

Given Disneyland features a Cars Radiator Springs area in California Adventure it has some US Route 66 related items to offer.  


Disney's attempt at a button-copy adorned US Route 66 shield.


Another US Route 66 shield can be found next to Flo's V8 Cafe along with a painted shield emulating that of the Californian Mojave Desert.





Lighting McQueen at "Not Jack Rabbit Trade Post."


Surprisingly "Not Hackberry General Store" had several Crossroad Signs US Route 66 replicas as decoration.  These are actually very high-quality reproduction shields which are sixteen-gauge steel embossed stamping with porcelain.  I purchased numerous of these shields before Crossroad Signs went out of business.  The other replica signage is a fairly decent representation of the actual Hackberry General Store.  



Definitely not Burma Shave signs.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine Bridge (Donaldsonville, LA)

Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans in southern Louisiana, the Sunshine Bridge spans the lower Mississippi River near the city of Donaldsonville as part of the longer Louisiana Highway 70 corridor, which connects Interstate 10 and Airline Highway (US 61) with US 90 in Morgan City. In the years following World War II, the only bridges across the lower Mississippi River in Louisiana were located in the area of the state’s two largest cities – Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Postwar agricultural and industrial development along the river in this region led to the planning of a series of infrastructure projects in southern Louisiana that were aimed at spurring this development and modernization of the Delta region. One of these projects was known as the Acadian Thruway and was developed in the 1950s as a toll road intended to connect greater New Orleans with Lafayette and points west while providing a high-speed bypass of the Baton Rouge metro area. The Thruway, which

Old River Lock & Control Structure (Lettsworth, LA)

  The Old River Control Structure (ORCS) and its connecting satellite facilities combine to form one of the most impressive flood control complexes in North America. Located along the west bank of the Mississippi River near the confluence with the Red River and Atchafalaya River nearby, this structure system was fundamentally made possible by the Flood Control Act of 1928 that was passed by the United States Congress in the aftermath of the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 however a second, less obvious motivation influenced the construction here. The Mississippi River’s channel has gradually elongated and meandered in the area over the centuries, creating new oxbows and sandbars that made navigation of the river challenging and time-consuming through the steamboat era of the 1800s. This treacherous area of the river known as “Turnbull’s Bend” was where the mouth of the Red River was located that the upriver end of the bend and the Atchafalaya River, then effectively an outflow

Natchez-Vidalia Bridge (Natchez, MS)

  Located about halfway between Baton Rouge and Vicksburg near the city of Natchez, the Natchez-Vidalia Bridge crosses the lower Mississippi River between southwest Mississippi and northeastern Louisiana at the city of Vidalia. This river crossing is a dual span, which creates an interesting visual effect that is atypical on the Mississippi River in general. Construction on the original bridge took place in the late 1930s in conjunction with a much larger parallel effort by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to strengthen the area’s flood protection and levee system along the Mississippi River. One of the more ambitious aspects of this plan was to relocate the city of Vidalia to a location of higher ground about one mile downriver from the original settlement. The redirection of the river through the Natchez Gorge (which necessitated the relocation of the town) and the reconstruction of the river’s levee system in the area were undertaken in the aftermath of the Great Flood of 1927, wh