Skip to main content

The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge


The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge is a derelict structure located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of Placer County, California.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge can be found between the communities of Colfax and Iowa Hill.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge is a wire suspension structure which spans the North Fork American River.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge was replaced by a modern span and converted to pedestrian use following floods during 1963.  




Part 1; the history of the 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge

During 1853 gold was discovered at what to become Iowa Hill.  The gold mining claims soon led to a small community known as Iowa City being established.   By 1854, Post Office Service began at the mines of Iowa City.  By 1856 gold production at Iowa City was estimated to be around $100,000.  Iowa City was burned in fires during 1857 and 1862 but the community was rebuilt with more modernized structures.  

The location of Iowa City can be seen as "Iowa Hill" on the 1873 Bancroft's Map of California.  Iowa Hill is shown to be a short distance east of Colfax in rural Placer County with no major roads connecting the communities.  


Iowa Hill can be seen connected to Colfax via a road (now Iowa Hill Road) over the North Fork American River on the 1882 Bancroft's Map of California.  


In 1901 the Postal Service officially changed the name of Iowa City to "Iowa Hill."  Iowa Hill Road can be seen in great detail of the 1914 C.F. Weber Map of Placer County.  Iowa Hill Road is shown with a bridge crossing the North Fork American River, it is unclear what type of span this was.  


Iowa Hill burned for a final type during 1920.  Though diminished by fire and the decline mining the community of Iowa Hill persisted.  During 1928 a then new wire suspension bridge was constructed along Iowa Hill Road at the North Fork American River.  The location of the 1928 Iowa Hill Bridge can be seen along Iowa Hill Road on the 1935 Division of Highways Map.  Iowa Hill Road is noted to be a major Placer County road.  


A car can be seen crossing the 1928 Iowa Hill Bridge can be seen in a 1950s era photo (courtesy bridgerhunter.com).


During February 1963 the 1928 Iowa Hill Bridge was partially washed out by floods on the North Fork American River.  A new bridge was erected directly to the south as the new alignment of Iowa Hill Road.  The 1928 Iowa Hill Bridge was subsequently retained as part of the Mineral Bar Campground. 



Part 2; visiting the 1928 Iowa Hill Bridge

During May 2023 Josh Schmid visited the 1928 Iowa Hill Road Bridge after the May 6, 2023, Fresno Road Meet.  The below collection of photos was taken by Josh during his visit.  
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

Francis Scott Key Bridge (1977-2024) (Baltimore, MD)

The Francis Scott Key Bridge (1977-2024) was a steel continuous truss bridge that spanned the Patapsco River in Baltimore, MD. Situated at the entrance to Baltimore’s Outer Harbor, the bridge carried Interstate 695 (part of the Baltimore Beltway) and was a visible symbol of the city and the state of Maryland. This bridge no longer exists due to its collapse as the result of a collision with a large container ship on March 26, 2024. The following piece will discuss the history and life of the Key Bridge, the important details surrounding the incident that caused its collapse, and the in-progress recovery efforts at the site. This piece will also discuss the economic impacts to the city and region as a result of the collapse and will look ahead at what to expect from a potential replacement crossing in the future. Part 1 - History of the Francis Scott Key Bridge (1977-2024) Planning for what was originally known as the “Baltimore Outer Harbor Crossing” began in the 1950s at the dawn of