Skip to main content

Deadwood Covered Bridge - Oregon


Spanning 105 feet across Deadwood Creek in western Lane County, Oregon is the Deadwood Covered Bridge. The bridge was originally called the Alpha Bridge after what was then the town of Alpha, about 2 miles north of the bridge. But since Alpha is now a ghost town, the name of Deadwood Bridge stuck, taking its current name from the creek the bridge crosses over. The covered bridge was designed with a Howe through truss when it was first built in 1932 by Lane County bridge builder Miller Sorenson. The bridge's flooring was installed on a slant so traffic that was rounding the corner onto the bridge would travel more safely. There is also a window on the north side of the covered bridge. The cost to build the covered bridge totaled $4,814, and thus, the Deadwood Covered Bridge became part of the Oregon's secondary road system.

Over time, the Deadwood Covered Bridge became dilapidated. During the 1970s, a concrete bridge was built nearby to take traffic away from the covered bridge. When the bridge's structural condition worsened in the early 1980s, Lane County officials decided to rehabilitate the covered bridge. In 1986, workers replaced damaged siding, flooring and portal boards from the covered bridge, along with working on the bracing, roof and bridge approaches. Following restoration of the bridge to near mint condition, a dedication ceremony in October 1986 marked the reopening of the covered bridge to vehicular traffic. The Deadwood Covered Bridge looks solid today, even if most of the traffic is sees is from covered bridge enthusiasts and local residents of various species, given the bridge's remote location.

Entering the east portal of the covered bridge.

The west portal of the covered bridge. You can see the open air windows on the north side of the bridge.

One of the local residents, firmly suggesting that I turn around and go over the covered bridge again.

How to Get There:

Sources and Links: - Deadwood Covered Bridge 37-20-38
Oregon Coast Visitors Association - Deadwood Covered Bridge
Eugene Cascades & Coast - Deadwood Covered Bridge
Pacific Northwest Photoblog - Deadwood Covered Bridge


Popular posts from this blog

Bridgeport Covered Bridge

The Bridgeport Covered Bridge is a historic crossing of the South Fork Yuba River located in Nevada County, California near Nevada City.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge opened as a tolled crossing during 1862 as part of the larger Henness Pass Road.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge closed to vehicle traffic during 1972 and was recently restored during 2021.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge is historically California's longest covered span is thought to likely be the longest such structure surviving in the world.  Featured as the blog cover is the Bridgeport Covered Bridge during 1950 when it was an active part of Pleasant Valley Road.   The history of the Bridgeport Covered Bridge The history of Bridgeport Covered Bridge was featured in the  September 1950 California Highways & Public Works .  Bridgeport Covered Bridge was constructed during 1862 over the South Fork Yuba River.  The Bridgeport Covered Bridge served as part of the Virginia Turnpike Company maintained Henness Pass Roa

Former California State Route 215

  California State Route 215 was a short-lived state highway which existed in the Los Angeles Metropolitain area after the 1964 State Highway Renumbering.  California State Route 215 was aligned from US Route 60 at 5th Street in Pomona north to US Route 66 near Claremont via Garey Avenue.  California State Route 215 came to be after California State Route 71 was bisected in Pomona due to relinquishment of a portion of Garey Avenue due to the opening of a portion of the Corona Freeway (now Chino Valley Freeway) during 1958.  California State Route 215 was deleted by the Legislature during 1965. The history of California State Route 215 The initial segment of what was to become California State Route 215 was added to the State Highway System as part of the 1909 First State Highway Bond Act.  The First State Highway Bond Act defined what would become  Legislative Route Number 19  (LRN 19) as running from Claremont to Riverside.  The segment of LRN 19 between Claremont and Pomona would in

US Route 70 over San Augustin Pass

San Augustin Pass is a gap in the Organ Mountains, San Augustin Mountains and San Andres in Dona Ana County east of Las Cruces.  San Augustin Pass lies an elevation of approximately 5,600 feet above sea level and was originally traversed by New Mexico State Route 3.  US Route 70 would be realigned over San Augustin Pass during 1934 when it was extended to Los Angeles, California.  During 1963 US Route 82 would be extended through San Augustin Pass to Las Cruces.  Since the early the early 1990s signage of US Route 82 has been withdrawn to Alamogordo.  San Augustin Pass and US Route 70 are largely known for the numerous closures due to test firings originating from the White Sands Missile Range.   Part 1; the history of highway designations over San Augustin Pass San Augustin Pass traditionally has been the easiest from the Rio Grande in Las Cruces east to the Tularosa Basin.  The terrain conditions at San Augustin Pass allowed for an easy crossing in the gap between the Organ Mountains