Skip to main content

Former California State Route 250


California State Route 250 is a former State Highway located near the city of Anaheim.  California State Route 250 was aligned from Interstate 5 near the Orange County Hospital via then Placentia Avenue (now State College Boulevard) to California State Route 91.  California State Route 250 was deleted by the State Legislature during 1981 following the completion of the California State Route 57 freeway between Interstate 5 and California State Route 91.  



The history of the California State Route 250

What was to become California State Route 250 entered the State Highway System during 1933 as Legislative Route Number 180 (LRN 180).  The original definition of LRN 180 was as follows:

"LRN 2 (US Route 101) near Orange County Hospital to LRN 175."

LRN 180 appears for the first time on the 1934 Division of Highways Map following Placentia Avenue between US Route 101/LRN 2 and LRN 175 at Orangethorp Avenue.  The original run of Sign State Route designations announced during August 1934 did not include LRN 180.



LRN 180 appears in detail along Placentia Avenue on the 1935 Division of Highways Map of Orange County.  


LRN 180 was reassigned as California State Route 250 as part of the 1964 State Highway Renumbering.  California State Route 250 carried the same route definition as LRN 180.  California State Route 250 appears for the first time on the 1964 Division of Highways Map.  


1965 Legislative Chapter 1372 added a stipulation to the definition of California State Route 250:

"This route will cease to be a state highway when Route 57 freeway is completed from Route 5 to Route 91."

California State Route 250 no longer appears on State College Boulevard on the 1979 Caltrans Map suggesting it had been relinquished upon completion of California State Route 57 between Interstate 5 and California State Route 91.  The Legislature formally deleted California State Route 250 via 1981 Legislative Chapter 292.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dummy Lights of New York

  A relic of the early days of motoring, dummy lights were traffic lights  that  were  placed  in the middle of a street intersection. In those early days, traffic shuffled through busy intersections with the help of a police officer who stood on top of a pedestal. As technology improved and electric traffic signals became commonplace, they were also  originally  positioned on a platform at the center of the intersection. Those traffic signals became known as  " dummy lights "  and were common until  traffic lights were moved  onto wires and poles that crossed above the intersection.  In New York State, only a handful of these dummy lights exist. The dummy lights  are found  in the Hudson Valley towns of Beacon and Croton-on-Hudson, plus there is an ongoing tug of war in Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley, where their dummy light has been knocked down and replaced a few times. The dummy light in Canajoharie is currently out of commission, but popular demand has caused the dummy

Colorado Road (Fresno County)

Colorado Road is a rural highway located in San Joaquin Valley of western Fresno County.  Colorado Road services the city of San Joaquin in addition the unincorporated communities of Helm and Tranquility.  Colorado Road was constructed between 1910 and 1912 as a frontage road of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The roadway begins at California State Route 145 near Helm and terminates to the west at James Road in Tranquility.   Part 1; the history of Colorado Road Colorado Road was constructed as frontage road connecting the sidings of the Hanford & Summit Lake Railway.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway spanned from South Pacific Railroad West Side Line at Ingle junction southeast to the Coalinga Branch at Armona.  The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway broke ground during August 1910 and was complete by April 1912. The Hanford & Summit Lake Railway established numerous new sidings.  From Ingle the sidings of the line were Tranquility, Graham, San Joaquin, Caldwell, H

The Putah Creek Bridge of Monticello (former California State Route 28)

The Putah Creek Bridge was a masonry structure constructed during 1896 by Napa County to serve the community of Monticello.  The Putah Creek Bridge would be annexed into the State Highway System in 1933 when Legislative Route Number 6 was extended from Woodland Junction to Napa.  The Putah Creek Bridge was a component of the original California State Route 28 from 1934-1952.  The span briefly became part of California State Route 128 in 1953 until the highway was relocated as part of the Monticello Dam project in 1955.  Today the Putah Creek Bridge sits at the bottom of the Lake Berryessa reservoir and is accessible to divers.  Pictured as the blog cover is the Putah Creek Bridge as it was featured in the September 1950 California Highways & Public Works.   California State Route 28 can be seen crossing the Putah Creek Bridge near Monticello on the 1943 United States Geological Survey map of Copay.   The history of the Putah Creek Bridge The site of Monticello lies under the waters